104 replies to this topic

#71 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

Just had another flick through the Jersey registration.  One of the benefits of ownership is that you are outside the EU and UK so can temporarily import your yacht into the EU for 18 months without paying VAT or duty. Jersey say this is only available to non-EU citizens, but other official sources say non-EU residents and others just the flag must be non-EU.  You'd have to get advice on that, knowing that you want to import in your wife's name to NZ eventually.

Gibraltar is very similar regime too I think.

#72 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Perhaps, but we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ve found my cat1 experiences pretty easy. Plus I think a seaworthy vessel should be to that standard anyway, with a few obvious exceptions in some circumstances - like a throw line for a single gander etc. but I must say in those situations, the inspector has just ignored those items.

Gotta agree with IT here, no dramas whatsoever, and I don't think it required anything on the cat that I wouldn't take anyway.

When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

#73 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Just had another flick through the Jersey registration.  One of the benefits of ownership is that you are outside the EU and UK so can temporarily import your yacht into the EU for 18 months without paying VAT or duty. Jersey say this is only available to non-EU citizens, but other official sources say non-EU residents and others just the flag must be non-EU.  You'd have to get advice on that, knowing that you want to import in your wife's name to NZ eventually.

Gibraltar is very similar regime too I think.

Yeah i think that's the thing right there. If you're EU-resident OR an EU citizen then in either case You'd have to pay the VAT - would be good to get some clarity on that. Resident vs citizen thing. I think, that if you're EU resident, you have to pay the VAT if you take the boat into EU, regardless of flag.?

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#74 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

Yeah i think that's the thing right there. If you're EU-resident OR an EU citizen then in either case You'd have to pay the VAT - would be good to get some clarity on that. Resident vs citizen thing. I think, that if you're EU resident, you have to pay the VAT if you take the boat into EU, regardless of flag.?

Lots of conflicting sources on this, but going to the actual legal text  Article 212.

It says that the owner must be natural person or company established (ie resident) outside the EU customs union and the yacht must be registered outside the customs union as well.  So, if the owner is an established Swiss resident and the yacht is registered outside the customs union then you should be fine - citizenship doesn't seem to matter.  Re: Jersey Register - they advertise that being on the register allows temporary importation into EU, but Jersey are in the customs union for some purpopes, so must be some fine print for the UK territories somewhere.  Gibraltar is definitely outside the Customs Union so could be another option.

#75 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

Mate just cleared using Delaware rego, No hastle or questions asked.

#76 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Mate just cleared using Delaware rego, No hastle or questions asked.

Nice one, what are the costs? Looks like a low registration fee but 350 usd a year to maintain a Delaware company. Is that right? No survey etc too?

Probably wouldn't work for DrW as he needs it in his wife's name, not a company.

#77 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

OK, Just had a dig around on the Jersey gov site. It does indeed look to be that non-EU residents can import into EU for 18months VAT free, and any EU citizen (or commonwealth citizen) is eligible as the owner. Fees appear moderate, and I'm sure the yard can provide guidance on the tonnage survey requirement. 

This document says it all, really. https://www.gov.je/S... 2016 - POJ.pdf

Additionally, it appears that there is no crew qualification requirement for pleasure vessels under 24m - although it'd be likely that having an ICC and boatmasters or other basic tickets would make life easier when sailing in other EU waters unless they strictly require some other qualification.

https://www.gov.je/T...es/Manning.aspx

All you folk with Cat 1 issues might want to consider the bit in bold above... many of you will be eligible...

#78 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

It was all done on line, don't think a company was involved? only hicup was needing a note from NZ registry saying it was not registered in NZ, around $200.00 + for that bit of paper! Good for 3 years. Was done directly with Delaware (Fishing?) Authorities, not through a 3rd party. Of which there appear to be lots.

#79 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Ok, I got in touch with the jersey registry. It seems tht it’s the best, cleanest, safest, and most respected option. It does everything we need.

Total cost is likely to be about £1220, for 10y registration. Including survey and representative fees.
They also require no formal qualifications to skipper.

Remember it’s also open to nz citizens being part of the commonwealth.

#80 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

When you get to it let us know what the survey involves
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users