104 replies to this topic

#81 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Ok, I got in touch with the jersey registry. It seems tht it’s the best, cleanest, safest, and most respected option. It does everything we need.

Total cost is likely to be about £1220, for 10y registration. Including survey and representative fees.
They also require no formal qualifications to skipper.

Remember it’s also open to nz citizens being part of the commonwealth.

hey Good doctor,

I was going to get Harry Jorgensen to do my tonnage survey as he is on their 'approved' list.

that was before I found out about the issue I was going to have with producing bills of sale going back 10 years or more

Obviously not something (bills of sale) you need to worry about I gather

#82 syohana

syohana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

When you get to it let us know what the survey involves

Jersey don't require a survey, just a tonnage measurement. Survey is only needed for commercil vessels. The measurer (usually an IIMS surveyor) gets out a tape measure and measures the internal volume of the boat, then uses an equation to work out the theoretical number of Tuns (large barrels) which would fit inside. This is because cargo ships have historically always been taxed on the number of tuns they can carry (their tunnage). Technically should be called a tunnage measurement, not tonnage as it's measuring volume not weight. When customs forms ask for your tonnage that's what you're supposed to enter, not your weight. Curly Hayter did ours in Auckland a few years ago forthe Jersey reg, took about half an hour, cost was minimal.

#83 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

Thank you. This looks a promising possibility
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#84 syohana

syohana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thank you. This looks a promising possibility

We were very happy with it overall. There was a bit of delay with things being posted to jersey and back and they were very nice but not quick to respond, otherwise all went smoothly. Had to send photos of the boat name to prove the letters were big enough (10cm high). Also had to fix a registration number plate to a bulkhead with phillips screws, then drill out the heads of the screw to make them look like rivets and send a photo!

Lots of other flags also a need tonnage measurement certificate so your boat may already have one from a previous registration if you're lucky. I think Jersey would probably accept an existing measurement certificate.

The Jersey flag looks cool (red ensign with gold lions) but you tend to get checked often in some countries by customs thinking you're dodging taxes, Jersey being a tax haven. You're also allowed to go incognito and fly a plain british red ensign, which reduces the attention you get.

Edited by syohana, 07 July 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#85 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

what do you put as your home port?

#86 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:56 AM

what do you put as your home port?

St Peter Port presumably, only shipping harbour from memory.

#87 syohana

syohana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

St Peter Port is in Guernsey not Jersey (A beautiful little port with insane tides). The main port in Jersey is St Helier but in fact Jersey registered boats (except those actually owned by locals) are required to put "Jersey" as the port of registry on their stern, not St Helier.

Edited by syohana, 10 September 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#88 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:37 PM

Does anyone have any updates on more convenient flags of registry? 

#89 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

I guess we can expect registration fees to go up again

https://www.maritime...6BrOTKhPj6_QXyx
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#90 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

[quote name="Black Panther" post="213706" timestamp="1541751711"]I guess we can expect registration fees to go up again

I read it differently BP. I read it as all sefarer fees -which presumably includes Cat 1- to be lowered to $368
Do point out I'f I am reading it wrong.

But if I'm reading it right, then I will very seriously reconsider registering my vessel offshore, because $368 if true, would be a very fair price. Good on 'em Maritme NZ for being one of the few bureacracies actually listening to the punters. Very encouraging.
Cat 1 still a pain in butt, but I do really want a kiwi flag off my stern...but not if it stays at a $1,000 bucks plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users