Jump to content


Photo

1 in 10


  • Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 erice

erice

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:41 AM


  • 0

if posts offend .. or even too hard

 

please "ignore" :thumbup:

 

http://crew.org.nz/f...ea=ignoredusers


#2 Island Time

Island Time

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Interesting. And probably accurate...


  • 0

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats


#3 Black Panther

Black Panther

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

Are they talking about Me? I can't tell
  • 0
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

 


#4 wheels

wheels

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Can someone tell me what the story is about?
I could easily believe that IQ is inversely proportional to the ability to breed. Because there seems to be a growing population of idiots these days.


  • 1

#5 Black Panther

Black Panther

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Short version: 10% of the population will never be productive members of society due to low IQ. This will create problems for the other 90%
  • 0
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

 


#6 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

Peterson's analysis, such as it is, is more elitist philosophy than science . .  

 

https://www.jacobinm...zsche-alt-right

 

But these are good arguments to debate and think through .  


  • 0

#7 wheels

wheels

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

I don't see why it should be a problem to the 90%. We have survived as a Society so far. Some of those 90% say that there will always be unemployment and that a figure as high as 10% should be considered acceptable and normal. Then you have those that argue that we are going to all become unemployed as Robotics take over and that the huge corporations that manufacture will need to pay all of us to relax on the beach under the shade of the coconut tree. :roll:
Oh and then there is the argument over whether IQ actually measures real intelligence or not. Just because you are smart in somethings, does not mean you are not in other things. For instance, re the parable of the Mexican Fisherman under the shade of the the tree having a siesta and the Harvard Business Grad that trys telling him to go get a fleet of fishing vessels, so he could have time to sit under a shady tree on the beach....., who was the smart one?


  • 0

#8 ScottiE

ScottiE

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

Peterson's analysis, such as it is, is more elitist philosophy than science . .

https://www.jacobinm...zsche-alt-right

But these are good arguments to debate and think through .


Yawn

https://medium.com/@...it-a31deaf921c8
  • 1
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

It is also said that people at the other end of the spectrum have trouble integrating as well. For them it is like living in an asylum, so they go off into the woods and become hermits.


  • 0
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

 


#10 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

Pretty mystifying argument (?) by Peterson. 

 

In fact, the percentage of people who are unable to be productive is closer to 20% (in the US at least), though many of them can be assisted to function quite well.

 

It is not just IQ - people can be disabled by physical disabilities (missing limbs, blindness), mental illness, disease, age and much else. 

 

And it has been ever thus, nothing at all new about it. 

 

Or more briefly, what Wheels said . . 


  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users