Tracking devices - which one?

I am looking to buy a satellite tracking / texting device. Any opinions out there on the pros and cons of the various products?? So far I have researched:

Garmin inReach Explorer+ Satellite Communicator, $730

Iridium Go (from Predict Wind), US$1150

The latter seems to provide more functionality. Whaddya reckon?

Iridium Gos are ok, but don’t think you can surf the net!. Yellow Brick units work pretty well, give you txt and a website for followers to see where you are. There are a couple of other options, for whic I have the details in the office, I’ll report back Monday...

Iridium go was fine for emailing text, tracking and a good forecast twice a day, cant send large files and phone call wrere hit and mis.

I wonder what the Volvo boats used, they seem to send good video footage all the time.

Ive been looking at spot. Yes they do comms. Seems a better tter deal than the others. Only pay for what you use rather than an exorbitant monthly plan you cant get out of.

Even the most die hard sailors probably only need it a few weeks a year.

I used the "Spot" for a qualifier last year and my wife and work mates loved it as they tracked my progress. Hired it from a bloke in Christchurch, firm called Get Lost I think.

Be aware that the “red buttons” on these things should not be considered in the same light as an Epirb. They don’t go to the RCC, and are monitored normally at a private company. Which may or may not perform. A little googling will give you examples...

I used a old Motorla 9505 for email and it required several attempts to send a email. It used the little external hexagonal puck antenna and phone calls were pretty average too with calls dropping out. We even tried to use some software so we were catching satellites at the beginning of a pass which helped a little. This was several years ago.

More recently I have done some research on the IridiumGo and it should be OK for gribs, text only email and phone calls, but I think the proper marine based external, permanently mounted type antenna is a must to avoid frustration.

I am waiting a bit longer to see what the Iridium NEXT satellites begin to offer....apparently even the IridiumGo will get a speed increase through the firmware update. Should see something in this space in the next 12 months on that, but I fear that while a new device similar to the IridumGo will hit the market, they will want ridiculous money for plans with the corresponding speed increase.

That would be typical of Iridium. Watch this space.