14 replies to this topic

#1 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Just wondering what sort of emergency rudders or steering devices are being used. Trying to think of what would suit a R26.

Is a small drogue on an adjustable bridle a realistic way to steer a boat any real distance? I suspect it probably is on a well balanced boat?

I know some of the wind vanes can have an emergency rudder attached which looks like a great set up if your boat is big enough to fit that system.

The only other way I can think of is installing pintles on the stern to hang a backup rudder which means changing the back stay set up to make room for a tiller. Probably the best solution but the most hassle?

I’m thinking a practice run with a small canvas type drogue would answer my questions but keen to hear if others have tried this out or is there an option I haven’t thought of?

Any thoughts?

#2 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

I have a big steering oar from a surfboat I plan to carry it’s big enough to be useful as a boom ,mast as well as steering , even though I have 2 rudders already I think I could lash the oar vertical on the transom which should give steering with little force required, or otherwise use it more horizontally. You might be able to use a spinnaker pole but you would want to experiment first.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

A set of pintals and spare rudder is probably easiest. They can be offset a little, it's not like you'll be racing or pushing hard at that stage.

Drouge, offshore maybe but close in not so.

Maintaining well what you have so it doesn't fail is easier again ;)

#4 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

I've never tried it, but my understanding is the bridle and drogue method can be used effectively. You don't necessarily need a drogue, several spare sheets / mooring lines coiled to give a focused point of drag can work. Bridle through aft fair leads and onto primary winches.

Don't expect to be able to sail to windward though.

I've never heard of anyone succesfully using a spinnaker pole. They aren't long enough, difficult to make a deck attachment point and can't make a robust surface area on the end (floorboards lashed on etc just break).

There is a thread in crew from the boat (and poster) Oracle, when they broke their rudder in a White Island race. I believe they got the bridle method to work.

#5 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Lash the pole across the transom and take the bridle to the ends of the pole to get more leverage from the drogue????

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#6 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

Install two permanent rudders side by side.

#7 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

Install two permanent rudders side by side.

On two separate hulls, has the added advantage that it goes really fast too. 

On a more serious note I'd say you could probably emergency steer a raven 26 with a long oar if you balance the sails. 

You could just add some sort of rollock on the transom

#8 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

I had a conversation with a guy when we were out on the pile moorings a decade or so ago . He sailed a 44 ft American cruiser through the pacific but about 400 odd miles out of NZ  the steering went goofy.

On inspection he found he had rudder left but the skeg had dropped off. So he had to drop the rudder out before it slogged out the hull.

Anyyyway , the point of the story was that nothing could be done to steer that boat because with the skeg gone , so had the CLR shifted, it would just round up no matter what he did. 

Fortunately he had a buddy boat , they rigged a long tow with all the chain and both boats set sail. The catenary of the chain kept him straight and led him by the nose.

So there's another emergency steering method  if you can get some help, the 'tow' was more about keeping the boat on a line rather than providing horsepower.

#9 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

Just read this on another site..

‘In 2013, with urging from the Storm Trysail Club Safety at Sea Committee, the rudder was removed from a modified Swan 44 to test the concept of the Galerider for emergency steering. The boat weighs 27,000 lbs. Prototype 12” and 18” Galerider drogues were tested and it was found that they did not offer sufficient drag for adequate control. A standard 30” Galerider was then deployed and provided significant improvement in control. The test yacht was able to sail to windward, tack and sail off the wind. Further tests were performed under power, with the boat able to maintain a course, to steer to port or starboard and to turn a complete circle. All this while achieving about 5 knots of boat speed.’

Seems to me the cheapest, smallest, easiest form of emergency steering if you can get it to work for your boat.

#10 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

There is a thread in crew from the boat (and poster) Oracle, when they broke their rudder in a White Island race. I believe they got the bridle method to work.

Searched but couldn’t find the thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users