Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

#2 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

I have not watched the Vid, but I think this is a bad idea if it is knocking someones belief/religion.

#3 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

I have not watched the Vid, but I think this is a bad idea if it is knocking someones belief/religion.

The video is worth watching IMHO

Stephen Fry talking about God is another one worth a look

#4 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hitchens lost me when he backed that insane invasion of Iraq in 2003 

#5 idlerboat

idlerboat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

.....He dosnt knock religion / beliefs as such...in fact he states quite clearly that he understands the human desire for them.

But he does give the Catholic church and its historical idiosyncratic idiocies a well deserved kick. 

...and to paraphrase, that "the carpenter from Galilee, would be horrified at what has been done and why...." 

and...as an illustration, the horrendous torture and murder of people who were found reading the bible in their own language..... 

..it was with absolute intent that the catholic church tried to keep "the word of god" in a form that was only readable by its chosen few....

And yes many other religions / cults / sects / political parties ...have acted in the worst possible way , completely counter to what they have espoused......but this debate was about the catholic church.

To my mind it is well worth watching, even if you are a devout catholic, after all the faithful should be able to see through wrongs and "human justifications"...condemn them for being that, and except that they are counter to what the original teachings may and should have been.

There is only two substances..stuff and glue...and even glue is made of stuff,,
quote."MD"

#6 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

A good watch, I’m glad I took the time. Nothing new as such but he words things well.

The Catholic Church has to be the most evil institution in existence and deserves to be knocked at every opportunity.

#7 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Wheels it ain’t knocking it’s the real deal ie the truth.
The House of Catholics need to join the real world and Stephen in reality is not saying anything new that the rest of the world does not already know.
I applaud his language and admire those like him who can speak so clearly on such important matters.

#8 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

Wheels it ain’t knocking it’s the real deal ie the truth.
The House of Catholics need to join the real world and Stephen in reality is not saying anything new that the rest of the world does not already know.
I applaud his language and admire those like him who can speak so clearly on such important matters.

You don't get it. You guys posting to this simply do not get it. You are ignorant bigots. Sorry that sounds harsh and I know it is not what you intend, but it is exactly what you are being.
Fry has a great argument yes. And it comes from the heart. But it also comes from ignorance in understanding what the Christian Faith is all about. Ignorance in understanding the Bible. Ignorance in understanding the World we are currently in and the reason why it is the way it is and why we do not have God instantly put it right. For instance, the Pope said recently, "You pray for the Hungry, then you feed them. That is how Prayer works".  As correctly pointed out by many of you here, God is NOT a magical sky fairy or Santa or what ever other terms have been used. Yes many believers in many religions may have a wrong understanding also, but there are many of us doing good things in this world. Don't go putting everyone into the same boat by making ignorant comments. Hence why I do not like these posts. Because in reality, the person that makes it, usually has some other personal issue.

#9 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

C'mon wheels, your argument creates more problems than it solves , people post this stuff because although the Catholic church no longer wields the same theocratic authority in NZ as it has done, it continues to be a considerable force for ignorance and suffering in many parts of the world. You faith is not Catholic, it may be a revisionist version but to defend the church on the basis that people don't understand the bible, the world we are in, how it works and gods motive is breathtakingly arrogant. 

If the Pope really means praying is doing, then why doesnt he just say it instead of requiring a divine interlocutor? You say prayer does nothing in the physical world, then your interpretation of the bible is revisionist indeed. There is no point saying that the bible means anything because there will be another group who fervently believe the exact opposite and they are as correct. Jeff Sessions who a devout Christian, a man who genuinely believes that he is doing gods work just quoted Romans 13 to justify separating babies and children from their parents, and who cant see the echos of totalitarianism in that? Can you honestly say that his work is not gods will? I doubt it because your argument loosely states that consensus does not triumph over individual interpretation.

Getting back to the Pope, he could reduce or eliminate the institutionalised pedophilia in the church by simply bringing back marriage for priests, he could approve condoms in the fight against HIV in Africa, he is silent on abortion when Uruguay forces a 13 year old girl to have the child of her rapist yet God is somehow approves these crimes against the innocent?. You dont need Christianity to be a good person but if you want to be a bad person its easy to hide behind the veneer of decency to take advantage of its obscenities for personal gain in the here and now.

#10 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:16 AM

Each to their own Wheels and I certainly don’t have a problem with religion in general but labeling people as ignorant bigots for speaking out against an institution who has systematically raped and abused tens of, if not hundreds of thousands of innocent children is more than a bit off.

“From 2001 to 2010 the Holy See, the central governing body of the Catholic Church, considered sex abuse allegations involving about 3,000 priests dating back fifty years.[11] Cases reflect worldwide patterns of long-term abuse as well as the church hierarchy's pattern of regularly covering up reports of alleged abuse.”

Unfortunately I think this is a discussion that just like politics will achieve bugger all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users