#1 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

So, I got inspired to comment after getting directed over to Mike Hoskings facebook page where he is bagging nurses for not accepting a pay deal and opting to strike. Funny thing is I could have sworn the crew.org right wing branch was over there posting like mad. Labour govt = strikes, commies, lefties etc etc. The usual bunch of older conservatives that want to pay less tax but expect their hips and knees for free (plus caring professionals to wipe their bums)

So the nurses havent gone down this road for 30 years. I think that says something. Collective action is probably the only tool that makes employers sit up and take notice.

The broader context is that we are on the edge of a massive increase in nursing home/aged care recipients who will need professional carers or nurses to look after them, how much do we value these jobs and the people who are looking after our parents or us eventually.

Whats your thoughts, should we pay them more?

#2 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Heres a comment from a  a kiwi nurse who moved to Oz, (from another message board)

I am a nurse who moved to Australia not long ago in search of better pay and conditions. It's not all better here, and I am in a financial and life circumstances position that is better than most, but just having that extra money is so much more worth it than any negative aspects of nursing in New Zealand.

I'm not going to stay here, and I'll certainly return to NZ to nurse again, but for now I'm supporting my partner and I to live on four days work a week. I get 3 days off, don't have to worry about missing rent or bills, if I need more money for something I can do extra shifts.

When I go to work here I am excited, ready to help people and challenge myself and make a difference. When I went to work in NZ I was scared, worried about getting assaulted, worried about being blamed or targeted for errors or things outside of my control. Every time I started a shift I was nauseous walking in the door because I knew I would have too many patients and too much to do. I was burnt out, as were most of my colleagues. It was all anyone talked about. Not enough staff, not enough new grads, massive attrition rates and those who can't leave the country just stuck, grinding themselves into dust.

f*ck even thinking about what it was like is getting my anxiety up. This is why nurses are striking. Not for the money but just for a chance to feel recognised and respected. Most Kiwis love nurses and have huge respect for them, just not the DHBs.

Good luck to them

I know a few nurses, all dedicated and all overworked.

#3 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Nurses are priceless  dedicated overworked no regular breaks

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#4 Nzgrant

Nzgrant

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

I reckon the problem with our health system is that there are toooooo many managers by far.  How many shiny arses  sitting in their fancy offices do we really need?  It seems to be a failing across the board in anything with government money going to it,  lots of highly paid managers and consultants (lets have another working group eh?) but no money left to pay the people who actually do the work!!!!

Native I would be part of the right wing brigade here.

#5 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Blaming the managers justifies shortchanging the nursing staff, that makes sense. 

#6 Nzgrant

Nzgrant

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

oh dear native I say I'm right wing so you have to attack huh? lol

I believe we need more nurses and that they should be paid more.  There you go native criticise me for that statement.

No matter how you look at it there is a finite pot of money.  So if those in control spend it all on managers and consultants there is none left for honest workers.   Given that every dhb duplicates a large amount of management staff, perhaps have less of them after all how much do we spend on all those dhb boards and ceo's etc.

#7 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,070 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hell yes, we should. Like teachers, nurses have suffered in silence for years, as the workloads went up, and real pay went down. It's their dedication that has kept them going, and successive governments have been to blame. It's almost usury, as they have been taken advantage of for years.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#8 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

I believe we need more nurses and that they should be paid more.

Sounds good to me :) I don't believe dividing workers into dishonest/honest is helpful, we need managers and bosses too. 

#9 Nzgrant

Nzgrant

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

lol native you cant help yourself can you.  ;-)

#10 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

I don't understand what you mean, care to elucidate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users