Double mainsheet or traveller?

What are peoples thoughts on a double mainsheet vs a traveller?  For cruising, not racing purposes.

With a double main sheet, you have some accidental jibe prevention.  Do you need a vang? 

More cockpit space? 

What are the practical downsides?

if you dont have a traveller, a vang, and a cunningham, then you cant get a proper shape in the mainsail, so its not so efficient. Not being efficient means more heel and less drive. Its well worth setting up properly, IMO. 

If you need jybe prevention, use a preventer, or a boom brake.

Okay...So keeping the Vang and having a Pad eye near the toe rail on port and starboard and in the centre of the cockpit, to attach my twin mainsheets to.   

Is a traveller still worth being a major cockpit obstruction for cruising?

I dont think so i have a traveller and never move the block cant see any advantage if you have a vang,my boats not a racer though.only disadvantage with 2 mainsheets is lots of rope in your cockpit,rather that than bruised shins though.

Certainly the traveler on the cabin top, and out of the cockpit, was one of the things that the admiral really likes about Island Time.

Ditto our 1220. One of Jo's requirements was not having "that bloody traveller" anyway in the way. So in the interests of compromise, I arranged for a "bloody big wheel" to be in the way instead.  :-)

Is the issue with the traveler created while sailing or at anchor.

If the the latter, there are some good options around for removable travellers..... Drop the pick , remove the traveller an enjoy your cockpit.

Is the issue with the traveler created while sailing or at anchor.

If the the latter, there are some good options around for removable travellers..... Drop the pick , remove the traveller an enjoy your cockpit.

It’s pretty much all the time, but worse at anchor. I’ll have a look at those removable ones. Maybe a good option.

Sorry for bringing back up the old thread...

What about building some sort of central podium for the lower mainsheet block to replace the traveller? My Ross 830 is destroying my wife’s shins.

I now have two main sheets.   I have three points of attachment.   One in the middle of the cockpit and two close to each toe rail.  

I often just use one mainsheet attached to the point of attachment that is required.  Sometimes two.   

But,  I am so glad I got rid of the traveller and do not miss it one bit!