59 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

This is aimed more at the ocean cruisers than the Akl to BoI and back like boats.

How is your anchor rode made up?

By that I mean lengths wise i.e. 40mts chain to 50mts of warp or all chain or what have you?

Where do you use it, ruffly like 'Fiji' is fine tuned enough, Ta.

If you have chain and warp size, chuck them in as well.

##############################################33

We are getting a LOT of boats asking what they should use in assorted places and some of the chats have thrown up some interesting comments about what some boats have been recommend to use and a few apparently are. So we thought......lets ask the audience and see what comes up.

#2 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

Ok, when offshore, 110m of 10mm short link and a 25 Rocna as primary,

2nd anchor is a danforth, 30m 10mm short link and 50m 3 strand nylon, 16mm iirc.

Used all over the world. Deepest anchorage was 47m, both rodes joined, and  used the rocna anchor

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 BNG

BNG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

200m 8mm short link to Manson Supreme on 43 foot classic launch approximately 12T.

In saying that I have never used more than 80m and that was in 22m of water at Fitzroy in the big new years blow 2 years ago.

We have never dragged and I need to ditch 120m in favour of rode and loose some weight forward.

Its just ridiculous massive overkill! 

#4 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

150m chain to a Manson plough. Then 30m chain with nylon and a big danforth. Wouldn't mind a couple more. A lightweight stern anchor and a big mother that hopefully never sees the light of day.

In the cav 32 a Manson plough and a danforth. 2 nylon rodes and 3 lengths of 50m chain. Storm anchor a big cqr. In 8 years only one got to put everything out. It held but the inside of the three strand nylon had a crustcfrom internal friction so maybe it was close to letting Go??
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#5 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Yeah BP thats %^% close. Once the 3 strand starts to melt from the inside due to cyclic loading, the end is near! Coreless braid nylon is much better than 3 strand, its not so susceptible to this issue.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#6 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

50m of 8mm from the previous owner to a 20kg Bruce, In a pinch we have another 50m of  12mm Nylon from Burnso we can add on but being a Wharram Tiki 38 we tend to be anchor pretty shallow.

Let all 50m of chain out in a blow this year, held in 55kn gusts but the bridle's now stiff as a board and will need replacing

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

Yeah BP thats %^% close. Once the 3 strand starts to melt from the inside due to cyclic loading, the end is near! Coreless braid nylon is much better than 3 strand, its not so susceptible to this issue.

Construction is not a big input into it. More the fibre type and quality.

For Nylon to do that means you've been pushing it pretty damn hard, which can easily happen in a big blow.

Internal fibre friction is a HUGE concern with polyprops and shittier (which the Aussies call 'Silver' it's utter crap) hence that stuff is good for dingys, smaller ones, and tieing crap on your trailer but bugger all else.

We are recommending Polyester to many boats now, it is a better option is many cases. There are only small differences between that and Nylon but enough to make it worth doing for many boats.

#8 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

It was under a lot of load. There was a French frigate 8 miles from us recording 108kn.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#9 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Well that's gotta have a pucker factor of 11

#10 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

120m 10mm shortlink chain to Excel now
But sail back from Europe with just 70m and a plough
We had to be very careful where we anchored as there wasn’t offen places to anchor in less than 20m, often over 30m, only dragged a couple of times, both of them in the Med in the same blow.
Plough will be our second anchor now, anyone know where I can get some chain from.
Thinking 30m then I’ve got 70m plus of 16mm or maybe larger 3 ply that we can use as a rode or tow line
Then we have a heavy but small danforth type anchor that was on board that I think they used as a stern anchor (something the euros like to do) but thought in a big blow I’d put it out front of my main anchor on the scallop dredge chain, can’t hurt, maybe. But then if I need up anchor in a hurry it would slow things down.
The best sailors do it two handed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users