59 replies to this topic

#51 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

On Smile, (Nova 28 about 3+ ton-ish which I liveaboard), I have 20m 8mm chain, and 60m x 14mm three strand attached to a Rocna 15 as my primary anchor.

The secondary or stern anchor is 20m of 8mm chain and  50m x 14mm three strand attached to a Danforth 18.  The third anchor is a four prong folding rock pick with 50m x 12mm three strand.

I haven't used the second or third anchor in real anger in over 20 years of sailing the sounds and generally anchor in 10 - 15m occasionally with a stern line.  The anchor winch is handy to pull the Rocna out though, it's character forming without it...

#52 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

What's the name of your boat Gillian? If I get caught in a storm I'm going to raft next you you and all that anchoring gear :)

It is interesting to see how much some boats do carry. I am of the opinion we do need to carry 2 sets of gear, one a very good primary and the secondary a nice system but one you can dump in a dingy and row out or similar. But more than that I don;t really see any need for unless you are going ocean wondering, like Steve for example. He goes to places like MotoMiddleOfNoWhere so has more need of the extra security and back ups those who cruise local, even extended local, don't need.

So I would say those with much more than 2 decent set ups who do not go offshore, have a suss and think 'Do I really need it?'. I think many will find they don't.

But whatever you do make sure you have your FGF on. FGF is the 'Feel Good Factor' and a massive part of anchoring (and many other things in life) so as I tell people a lot no matter what I say, books say or the 2,656,867 experts who usually aren't on the interweb, you and your family are the ones sleeping on your boat so if you are not happy it will detract from you boating experiance, even more so if your partner isn't happy*. So if you need a 100kg anchor to get your FGF then the best one for your boat is 100kg, even if my boat the sister-ship to yours only runs a 50kg anchor.

* - I'd write that usually as 'if your wife is not happy she will get twitchy and sleep poorly leading to a tired grumpy wife and we all know where that leads and it's not good'. But it is now 2018 and I'm not too sure we are allowed to have wives any more or allowed to say wife out loud.

#53 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I guess I have a high FGF then Knot me.

I sail solo, and a good night's sleep is important to me.  I don't want to do anchor watch if I can avoid it!

I don't consider my setup excessive at all.  Just a prudent combination that will allow me to have options should I need them, from kedging off, or having to release a stuck anchor for later retrieval.  The rock anchor is also great to throw a line ashore and catch a tree or bush, giving you a temporary stern line till you sort everything else out.

You can see more on my website https://sites.google...te/nova28yacht/

I am not sure about Grumpy wives, but I have been reliably informed that at times I can be a pretty grumpy woman! :)

Edited by Gillian, 17 July 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#54 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Good to see you have what you need G, you'd be surprised at how many we see who don't and seem to be OK with 'winging it'. Buggered if I could do that, I'm like you and when it comes to snore off O'clock I want to go down and then wake up in the same place.

That's why my system is bigger than what I could use to comply with the safety regs, which I regard as racing only...and then only in good to average weather. My second is identical to my primary.

I am not sure about Grumpy wives, but I have been reliably informed that at times I can be a pretty grumpy woman! :)

Yeah not to sure blokes are allowed to say that these days but I chucked it out there as we very commonly need to tweak things to make sure one partner is happy. 98% of the time that partner is a wife, or one of the many equivalents to them these days. We often do tell hubby, some who are apologetic about upsizing (Ihave no idea why they should be though), 'Dude, don't stress it's common and wise'.

My Wa is pretty hardy but when she is not happy about something I sure know so 'do go there and get that' myself :) I have no issue with that, she skydives and the thought of that terrifies the crap out of me. Each to there own but at times one side does need to stay quite and smile as things are tweaked to make the not so happy happier. We have noticed in this corner of the game, those that do that have happier boating than those that don't.

#55 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

Whats the results of over anchored?

Missed that one.

The results, carrying extra weight which can lead to a safety issue depending on where it all is. Spending more coin that needed. Less space on board and a few things like that. Nothing insurmountable but not dissimilar to buying a Lambo to pop down the dairy for a Fruju.

One thing a bit more serious if you oversize some of these newer design anchors is you set it, the weather packs up so it sets deeper. Come time to get it back..Opps gone in too deep and it's staying there. There is no need to over size like we used to these days.

#56 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

Thanks. Was confused thinking having lots out can't be a problem? Better than providing others with endless entertainment dragging as we did one time over at the Barrier. Still love to know who pulled our CQR up in Mussel Bay, pinched it and chain leaving us floating about with nothing.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#57 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

WTF??? Someone pinched your anchor off the chain while you were using it?

You sure you didn't have a connection failure? They are far from unknown (we love them :) ). Often they are people who read the interweb experts that say 'swivels are weak use them and you will die' or similar crap about some connection thinking all are equal when that is so so so very wrong, then they go fit a commercial shackle, with a guaranteed break load of anywhere between 10 and 5000kg, instead.

'Commercial' is code for made cheap as, not tested in any manner, will rust bloody fast bits of random unknowns. But they are the most sold by a nautical mile because selling things at $4.95 you pay 20c for makes accountants smile muchly.

#58 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

Yep. A very still night thankfully, got up for a piss and saw a keeler so close to us I was able to reach out and push it away, the crew still asleep. I thought we had dragged, pulled in the warp and nothing on the end. Shackle was checked before leaving Bucklands Beach YC and wired. A 2am trip back to our mooring off Little Bucks. Mussel Bay turned into Westhaven, boats everywhere and GPs dropping picks where ever they liked so figure someone left that night, picked up our anchor chain and helped themselves. We now photograph all boats around us when anchoring.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#59 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Shite, how dodgy is that.

One wonders what sort of mentality does that crap, it's obviously not wired right.

But it is interesting as well. I've always argued the weak link in your anchor system should be the chain to anchor connection, and on most boats it probably is....or was*. The theory being should something let go, of be pinched, if it is the chain/anchor connection at least you'll be dragging the chain which has to slow you and has a chance of being hooked into a rock or something else which them may stop you. Also when time comes to fix things all you need is a new anchor not a whole new system.

* - we are seeing many go with the hi-load shackles (usually have a painted pin, colour makes little difference unless it is green or a few of the red ones, those 2 are made in the Americas not Asia). In some cases that's good if they have a tuff chain like Maggi's AQUA range, for example, as those 2 chains are 33% and 133% stronger than all others sold here. But if you have bog standard Asian made chain the hi-load shackles are a lot stronger so if things get pushed what's going to be damaged or let go first?

#60 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

Somewhere out there...is a maga ars3hol3, either that or a octopus with attitude. We still talk about that night and how bloody lucky we were to A/ find it had gone before banging into something hard and B/ The wind never came up! We have tried to get a slotted screw shackle that is load certified but they are not available? We need them to fit through the bow roller so stuck with two 'keep one eye open' Burnsco Chinese things. Ordered our extra 15m 8mm SL magi chain and joiner yesterday from CRA. Eventually we will cut the slice and turn the chain around the other way losing the cheap burnsco chinese crap. Sounds like a plan so another year sleeping at anchor....with one eye open!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users