17 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Something I should correct KM, the canal before and after the lock is only 2.5 - 3.0 metres deep but the fall between the two levels is 15 metres. In the photo from inside the lock, you are looking towards the high end and it is all concrete - the lock doors are the little metal bits with the holes in them on top. So when the lock is full the little doors open and you sail out over the concrete sill. So the doors are not holding back any more water than a lock of 2 or 3 metres rise and fall.

Ah, yes I see that now.

I think you mentioned it earlier but can you please refresh this dude on the canal costs again. That lock alone must have cost someone a tidy sum. 

#12 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

Now that’s clever thinking

#13 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

KM, the costs to use the French canals is €284.20 per year, and that's it. For this you get to sail on the canals (obviously), the transiting of all locks, tunnels and lifting bridges, the supply of the telecomnander remote to operate the automatic locks, the use of all canal side mooring areas and fresh water and rubbish removal. The only additional fees are the few manually operated locks where the VNF employees students during their summer break and it is customary to tip them a euro.
As well, every little canal side village will have 3 or 4 piers,each accommodating up to 6 boats depending on size, also supplying water, rubbish tins and in many cases electricity, all for free. And the really good ones also have showers and washing machines - free.
In this regard I think NZ has missed the boat.
Consider our hometown Whangamata. Apart from the DOC camp we used to have 3 campgrounds. Now we have one and it's for sale. Not everyone that likes to holiday in Whanga can afford a motel so visitor numbers are hugely reduced and the town suffers. I admit if I owned a campground I'd sell it and be very well off thank you, but shouldn't the Council be buying them? That's what all the little village councils are doing here because they appreciate that providing amenities for canal boaters and camper vanners benefits their town in the long run. Good forward thinking.
Concerning the Falkirk Wheel, we have something similar to look forward to in the next few days. First, two tunnels, one 800 metres and then one 2400 metres and then the Nederville (?) Incline. This is something like a bath tub at the end of the canal that you sail into, the doors close and then the bath tub trundle 45 metres at a 45 degree incline up to the next canal level. Free if you want to use it, a charge if you're a tourist wanting to see it operating. I'll post some pics if I'm not too petrified.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#14 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

Awesome, looking forward to seeing that. We plan on doing the Avon Loop canal trip one day

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

286 euros = NZ$500. That's crazy cheap.

Any idea how many boats would be travelling the waterways?

In this regard I think NZ has missed the boat.

NZ is too new so rather than have decisions made using the wise old head centuries of existence does give, NZ is more like a teenagers still struggling to work out which way to go, Penthouse or Playboy. 

Looking forward to your next few days. This incline thing sounds intriguing.

#16 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

286 euros = NZ$500. That's crazy cheap.
Any idea how many boats would be travelling the waterways?

Couldn't say, but August is holiday month and there are quite a few rental boat companies doing good business.
Really we should pay an entertainment tax as some of the antics of these people turned loose in an 11 metre motorboat for the first time after 30 minutes of instruction has to be seen to be believed. Pays to keep well clear, though.
Here's a pic of the name board of the village we are currently in. Not even the French know how to pronounce it.20180809_182650.jpg
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#17 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

This one is pretty impressive too . .  the locks on the Danube-Main canal 

"This means that the Danube end of the canal is 107.3 metres (352 ft) above the level of the Main end." Multiple locks of course. 

We'll be transiting in October - fortunately not on our boat !! 

https://www.google.c...iact=mrc&uact=8

#18 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Try the Bolene on the Rhone behind a commercial barge. We were in a 29ft Dufour.  Scary!

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users