No Licence Required?

Saw this on Trademe and according to Q & A no special ticket to operate as it is a private vessel??surely that cannot be right?

www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-1580309906.htm?rsqid=44e13cfe142d4d37bd80bfd0b6ebf2eb

If its not in SSM and all that, I can't see why you'd need a licence to drive it. Finding somewhere to park it and insurance without some sort of suitable qualifications would be more interesting. No bow thruster. Guess thats what tugs are used for in busy ports. 

So, ex "research vessel", Japanese.

What is that "research" the Japanese do every summer down Antartica way? Has low side and aft decks, suitable for towing whales from, and clear walkways from the bow to the stern for passing the harpoon lines back. Just take the gun off the bow and no-one would know the difference. Whales processed, sorry, I mean researched, on the mother ship so no blood and blubber on this one...

I have long thought that those Japanese whalers are not to bright for seamen.

Just go down to the beach.

You could well be be fortunate enough to encounter a decent quantity of the born dead variety of the species which are easily accessed far less messy no pesky protesters and ready for immediate research.

I have long thought that those Japanese whalers are not to bright for seamen.

Just go down to the beach.

You could well be be fortunate enough to encounter a decent quantity of the born dead variety of the species which are easily accessed far less messy no pesky protesters and ready for immediate research.

But you need to taste it as part of the research

Big boat, would be awesome to own but the bills!!!! I met a couple that lived aboard that ex navy harbour patrol launch the Paea I think it was called. 80ft? Oregon planked, grey, very cool looking boat, the total expedition go anywhere machine but it would have been like living on the Harbour Bridge, start at one end with the painting and general maintenance and when you get to the other end go back to the beginning and start again. Cant quite remember the figures but from Hobsonville to Islington Bay was $120 in diesel.

Wasn't she the fairmile that worked out of the downtown wharves in Auckers in the 70's? As kids, we used to go out for the day fishing on her.

I though there was a tonnage limit for none qualified skippers? 500gt? Same as pilotage limit?

Motunui-50s.jpg

The 500 get is about the requirement to carry a pilot. For Auckland any vessel 500grt or more, or 40m loa or more, must vary a pilot regardless of whether they are commercial or not. There is the ability to be become a pilot exempt master for a specific port, vessel and berth/wharf but most exemption training schemes require you to have a commercial masters ticket regardless of whether the vessel is commercial or not. 39.99m is fine 40.00 m and you are caught or time to get the saw out....

The 500 get is about the requirement to carry a pilot. For Auckland any vessel 500grt or more, or 40m loa or more, must vary a pilot regardless of whether they are commercial or not. There is the ability to be become a pilot exempt master for a specific port, vessel and berth/wharf but most exemption training schemes require you to have a commercial masters ticket regardless of whether the vessel is commercial or not. 39.99m is fine 40.00 m and you are caught or time to get the saw out....

few others:

Tauranga is 250gt or more

Bluff 100gt or more

Nelson 40m or more

Go to https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/rules/part-90/ for full listing.

Elenya, if a vessel is built and has no tonnage cert and is not assigned a GT and the port has no length limit then I take it no pilot required?

Hi Troy

That one is captured by length, and by a clause of the MTA1994 allowing the Director (MNZ) to require any vessel to carry a pilot. This power is often delegates to the Harbourmaster.

In my case I have only used it for some foreign fishing vessels where the master had very very limited English this was unable to effectively communicate, report, and understand requirements of navigating in the harbour.

Long time since we sailed on the spirit together. Maybe catch up with you in sunny Tauranga some time.

Cheers

Jim

IALA near caught one US yacht leaving BBYC. We watched them head off down river and try to pass the starboard marker on their starboard side! Lots of waving and hooting saved them, imagine something like a 'super yacht'...

Hi Troy

That one is captured by length, and by a clause of the MTA1994 allowing the Director (MNZ) to require any vessel to carry a pilot. This power is often delegates to the Harbourmaster.

In my case I have only used it for some foreign fishing vessels where the master had very very limited English this was unable to effectively communicate, report, and understand requirements of navigating in the harbour.

Long time since we sailed on the spirit together. Maybe catch up with you in sunny Tauranga some time.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, drop by if you like, avos are ready to pick.