15 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

She's ruff, very ruff. Big $$ to get her from the agricultural she is now to something tidier. It's very dormitory like inside and all the fittings are big commercial like.

It's been on the market for about 10 years. Many were surprised to she her move, berthing costs related was one word heard.

#12 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:45 PM

The 500 get is about the requirement to carry a pilot. For Auckland any vessel 500grt or more, or 40m loa or more, must vary a pilot regardless of whether they are commercial or not. There is the ability to be become a pilot exempt master for a specific port, vessel and berth/wharf but most exemption training schemes require you to have a commercial masters ticket regardless of whether the vessel is commercial or not. 39.99m is fine 40.00 m and you are caught or time to get the saw out....

#13 rigger

rigger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

The 500 get is about the requirement to carry a pilot. For Auckland any vessel 500grt or more, or 40m loa or more, must vary a pilot regardless of whether they are commercial or not. There is the ability to be become a pilot exempt master for a specific port, vessel and berth/wharf but most exemption training schemes require you to have a commercial masters ticket regardless of whether the vessel is commercial or not. 39.99m is fine 40.00 m and you are caught or time to get the saw out....

few others:
Tauranga is 250gt or more
Bluff 100gt or more
Nelson 40m or more
Go to https://www.maritime.../rules/part-90/ for full listing.

Elenya, if a vessel is built and has no tonnage cert and is not assigned a GT and the port has no length limit then I take it no pilot required?

#14 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

Hi Troy

That one is captured by length, and by a clause of the MTA1994 allowing the Director (MNZ) to require any vessel to carry a pilot. This power is often delegates to the Harbourmaster.
In my case I have only used it for some foreign fishing vessels where the master had very very limited English this was unable to effectively communicate, report, and understand requirements of navigating in the harbour.

Long time since we sailed on the spirit together. Maybe catch up with you in sunny Tauranga some time.

Cheers

Jim

#15 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

IALA near caught one US yacht leaving BBYC. We watched them head off down river and try to pass the starboard marker on their starboard side! Lots of waving and hooting saved them, imagine something like a 'super yacht'...
""Some ships are designed to sinkā€¦ others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#16 rigger

rigger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Hi Troy

That one is captured by length, and by a clause of the MTA1994 allowing the Director (MNZ) to require any vessel to carry a pilot. This power is often delegates to the Harbourmaster.
In my case I have only used it for some foreign fishing vessels where the master had very very limited English this was unable to effectively communicate, report, and understand requirements of navigating in the harbour.

Long time since we sailed on the spirit together. Maybe catch up with you in sunny Tauranga some time.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, drop by if you like, avos are ready to pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users