Garmin in-reach or similar for voice comms for Category II and above

What are everyones' views as to Garmin in-reach; in reach mini  or similar with suitable water-proof mobile for the below?

YNZ Safety Communications

18.1 Single sideband marine radio transmitter X R and receiver with minimum transmitter power of 60 watts. If the regular antenna depends upon the mast, an emergency antenna must be provided. For new installations minimum power of 100 watts is mandatory. OR approved satellite voice communication system, if the sailing instructions allow. 

Don’t think the inreach does voice - messages only?

So would not comply...

An iridium go seems the lowest cost to me,

Sorry IT must be tired - you are right....so must have voice sat comms?  technology marching along. Iridium go handset cost plus plan approximates in NZ dollars?

cheers IT...will do some more research....been reading reviews and previous threads...seems external aerial vital for performance. Looking at best options for Cat II leading to 2020 RNI

We have an irridium go and it works brilliantly, it is connected to the boat ipad so all communication goes via the ipad.

We ised it crossing the tasman in july and it worked perfectly and also has its own tracking function so you can choose how often you want a position report sent out.

Definately need the external antenna!

We have an Iridium Go with external aerial. Has been working Fab for us up in Tonga.

Same as a sat phone for voice, it has that annoying delay.

Easy thing though that you are just using your mobile phone/tablet etc to hook up to it.

Doing the Predict Wind thing too. You need the unlimited monthly package - $149 US per month.

All are good extras to have but the sat phone is portable and will work in the life-raft too!! When I spoke to people in the feild the advice I received was that if you could onnly afford one option then the phone was the best.

You can take the Iridium Go with you in the raft if you have to bail. In a raft a phone is probably better but if you don't have one the I Go is better than nothing.

And you can push a button on the irridium go and it sends out your position!

That’s the problem if you only have an epirb you can’t send a message to say something has happened but we are ok it might take us a few weeks to sort it but we don’t need a search party just yet.

Once you push the epirb you normally would be leaving the boat behind when someone comes to get you. Garmin Inreach has text communication with the outside world as well as a panic button which when pushed the authorities will attempt to contact you to see what you need.About 700 new.

While all thats true, the position from the IG goes to whomever you have programmed it to go to, or their contracted 3rd party. Same with messages.

I'd not rely on that for emergencies, I prefer to talk directly to the rescue authorities. Thats what an epirb does..

You want txt, email, weather, position reporting etc? the IG is good for that, but so it a SSB and modem. IG is around $150 USD/month for that, the  SSB is free if you have a ham licence, or $200 USD per YEAR if you dont, and use sailmail.

We bought a Garmin in reach for work in case we are out of signal range and in trouble I think the plan is only about 20$ ? A month to keep it ready to go , a few free texts and free emergency operation, much cheaper than the sat phone per month and it has maps and tracking built in. The emergency call goes to some overseas agency who will contact the appropriate people but you can also program in any email, or cell phones numbers you want. Apparently you can also get weather on it. I have an earlier model that pairs up to a smart phone for use, only $120 secondhand, but not as straightforward to use. Nice to get a reply when you call for help too, an epirb might leave you hoping its being received by someone