• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 splat

splat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:03 PM

What are everyones' views as to Garmin in-reach; in reach mini  or similar with suitable water-proof mobile for the below?

YNZ Safety Communications

18.1 Single sideband marine radio transmitter X R and receiver with minimum transmitter power of 60 watts. If the regular antenna depends upon the mast, an emergency antenna must be provided. For new installations minimum power of 100 watts is mandatory. OR approved satellite voice communication system, if the sailing instructions allow. 

#2 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

Don’t think the inreach does voice - messages only?
So would not comply...
An iridium go seems the lowest cost to me,

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 splat

splat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

Don’t think the inreach does voice - messages only?
So would not comply...
An iridium go seems the lowest cost to me,

Sorry IT must be tired - you are right....so must have voice sat comms?  technology marching along. Iridium go handset cost plus plan approximates in NZ dollars?

Edited by splat, 13 August 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#4 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

A iridium go with marine pack (external antenna) is around $1500. Sims and plans from about $100.
I don’t sell them, sorry.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

PredictWind sell them, or https://wrights.co.n...uct/iridium-go/

#6 splat

splat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

cheers IT...will do some more research....been reading reviews and previous threads...seems external aerial vital for performance. Looking at best options for Cat II leading to 2020 RNI

#7 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, I put an iridium go on a metal boat on Saturday. Virtually no signal without the external antenna, intermittent sat connection. With the antenna, full strength, worked well.

#8 Meister Yachting

Meister Yachting

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

We have an irridium go and it works brilliantly, it is connected to the boat ipad so all communication goes via the ipad.

We ised it crossing the tasman in july and it worked perfectly and also has its own tracking function so you can choose how often you want a position report sent out.

Definately need the external antenna!

#9 PeteG

PeteG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

We have an Iridium Go with external aerial. Has been working Fab for us up in Tonga.
Same as a sat phone for voice, it has that annoying delay.
Easy thing though that you are just using your mobile phone/tablet etc to hook up to it.
Doing the Predict Wind thing too. You need the unlimited monthly package - $149 US per month.

#10 Changed

Changed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

All are good extras to have but the sat phone is portable and will work in the life-raft too!! When I spoke to people in the feild the advice I received was that if you could onnly afford one option then the phone was the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users