16 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

You can take the Iridium Go with you in the raft if you have to bail. In a raft a phone is probably better but if you don't have one the I Go is better than nothing.

#12 Meister Yachting

Meister Yachting

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

You can take the Iridium Go with you in the raft if you have to bail. In a raft a phone is probably better but if you don't have one the I Go is better than nothing.

And you can push a button on the irridium go and it sends out your position!

#13 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

Just curious. If you push the epirb button you are saying come get me. What else is there to Say?
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#14 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

That’s the problem if you only have an epirb you can’t send a message to say something has happened but we are ok it might take us a few weeks to sort it but we don’t need a search party just yet.
Once you push the epirb you normally would be leaving the boat behind when someone comes to get you. Garmin Inreach has text communication with the outside world as well as a panic button which when pushed the authorities will attempt to contact you to see what you need.About 700 new.

#15 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

I do like the sound of these. Trying to get one to test drive. If anyone is thinking of buying one and wants to charter it for a month or two over summer get in touch. If I like it I'll buy one before our next winter trip north.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#16 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

While all thats true, the position from the IG goes to whomever you have programmed it to go to, or their contracted 3rd party. Same with messages.

I'd not rely on that for emergencies, I prefer to talk directly to the rescue authorities. Thats what an epirb does..

You want txt, email, weather, position reporting etc? the IG is good for that, but so it a SSB and modem. IG is around $150 USD/month for that, the  SSB is free if you have a ham licence, or $200 USD per YEAR if you dont, and use sailmail.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#17 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

We bought a Garmin in reach for work in case we are out of signal range and in trouble I think the plan is only about 20$ ? A month to keep it ready to go , a few free texts and free emergency operation, much cheaper than the sat phone per month and it has maps and tracking built in. The emergency call goes to some overseas agency who will contact the appropriate people but you can also program in any email, or cell phones numbers you want. Apparently you can also get weather on it. I have an earlier model that pairs up to a smart phone for use, only $120 secondhand, but not as straightforward to use. Nice to get a reply when you call for help too, an epirb might leave you hoping its being received by someone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users