Photo

What will happen to the stubbies and black singlets?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:49 AM

By and large people who come from other countries value very highly what we have here and by getting stuck in they add to it and become part of it

#12 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

At my kids school trades such as building or mechanics are for the losers,most kids today expect to fall into a high paying computer job. Unfortunately we are breeding privileged little angels.Im an ex shearer,fencer fisherman who is now a builder,our labourer is a nice kid but would get sacked first day in any of my previous jobs just because he treats work like school,just turn up slowly do what your told then go home.Maybe im just a grumpy old bugger but i do think its our fault university is supposed to be the be all and end all,and teachers pound this into our kids.Trades are just as important and can be just as well paid.

#13 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

The beauty about doing a trade is you earn while you learn.
Plenty of people got sucked into the user pays education system and now find themselves with irrelevant degrees and massive amounts of debt.
Used to be a dinner party brag here in Ponsonby waxing lyrical about how your spawn were doing combined law and archaeology degrees.
Now the spawn can not afford to fly the coop and require large dollops of what should be retirement loot to just break even.
Immigrants are rapidly rewriting the work ethic In this country.
Have plenty of associates that have transitioned their businesses and racist attitudes by embracing new immigrants.
The only downside is that local wages can be artificially held at lower levels.

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

At my kids school trades such as building or mechanics are for the losers,most kids today expect to fall into a high paying computer job. Unfortunately we are breeding privileged little angels.Im an ex shearer,fencer fisherman who is now a builder,our labourer is a nice kid but would get sacked first day in any of my previous jobs just because he treats work like school,just turn up slowly do what your told then go home.Maybe im just a grumpy old bugger but i do think its our fault university is supposed to be the be all and end all,and teachers pound this into our kids.Trades are just as important and can be just as well paid.

Oh so true.

I've made a bit of a habit to have a newbie to the workforce on staff. Generally those straight from secondary school are more practical and reliable than those straight out of Uni. The Uni environment is one that teaches entitlement, which is fine when you're a 4th year whatever but not so once you hit the real world. But both are pretty damn useless for quite a while until we pry open their eyes to the reality that exists outside the pampered realms of the NZ school system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users