VOX radios

Guest 000

The little hand held VOX radios are very cheap here in Europe and we see a couple of uses for them. We would intend to dangle them around our necks or clip them to our lapels and (1) use them on the boat for communication between fore and aft when line handling in locks and (2) to be able to talk to each other when cycling. That's why we need the VOX hands free function. And although the advertising claims a 5km range which I doubt, we are only looking for 50 metres or so.

Has anyone had experience with VOX, particularly with regard to sensitivity? My wife says she's not interested in listening to my heavy breathing every time we cycle up a bit of a hill. Any advice appreciated.

They are likely just two way UHF handhelds, same as marine VHF handheld, but different frequencies. Available anywhere from .5 watt to 5 watt - more watts typically = more distance. GME is one brand that do them in NZ, they have ear bud speakers with small mic’s to clip to your collar, or lapel speaker/mic’s like the police use, The radios have VOX - voice activated transmit settings, with selectable sensitivity as to how loud a noise needs to be to trigger it.

You will get 5km line of sight in the right circumstances - like from one hill top to another. You might get 50m in a city surrounded by tall buildings.