This is why Aussies need to be paid more

Don't forget these includes our GST at 12.5% and theirs at 10%. Also note the NZ verse Aussie dollars.

The below relates to a 31ft yacht* -

Lift a mast (12mts) out and dump it on the dock next to the boat - A$177, same to put it back in. Or A$310 if you want to put it on/take it off a trailer. And they say it needs 5 people to carry it, the bloody unionised softcocks.

Lift, clean and apply 2 1/2 coats (2 full and another on leading edges) A$2024 using Micron or Altex 5. If you have 'heavy' growth A$75 per/hr extra to clean it. That is around NZ$1000 more than the lads in Bucks charged to do the same to mine.

A permanent swing mooring A$4610 PER YEAR. Short term A$427 per month :shock: Here if you rent a mooring probably around NZ$80-100 a month, sometimes less. Owning one around NZ$60 inc maintenance and ARC land tax. In Alk that is, I know it costs more in some other places but nothing like Aussie pricing I know of.

A marina berth A$8700 PER YEAR, Short term A$806 per month :shock: times 2. I pay NZ$490 a month which is about average, Westhaven excluded ;) I rent mine off the marina so are paying top dollar compared to private rental or owning it.

To slip her A$27 per foot with a A$675 minimum. Can be done here for NZ$50 and slab of coldies. At P21 NZ$275 odd inc the wash.

Asian 'pretty damn average at best' 8mm short link chain A$11 mt, Burnsco/Smart Marine does the exact same for NZ$9.90 with deals on quantity. Top end high strength 8mm ex Europe NZ$12 round figures with deals on quantity.

A popular and common item in NZ (picking one size as a comparison) In NZ $767, the exact same thing over the ditch A$999

Next time you think about bitching re thieving NZ chandeliers just thank your lucky stars you aren't in the West Island.

* - When told is was a 9.3mt yacht they said 'So how long is that, 40 feet?'. Don't I wish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those prices current as at today in NSW. OUCH!!!!!

Yeah that's what is going to happen if we want the wages to get up to their level.It has to come from somewhere and Ozy mining is only part of the story. Not everyone is mining. If you are a Boss like KM, you have to earn more from your employee than you pay him, or you don't stay in business. If Employee wants more money, Employer has to charge more.

KM, I don't dispute your figs but I don't think they tell the whole story without taking into account other costs of living. I can't speak for Aus but by comparison NZ is also a lot cheaper than the UK for keeping a boat, marina charges etc. BUT the cost of other stuff in the UK is a lot less - I noticed a huge difference in books and CDs for example, as well as mainstream shopping for the weekly groceries.

So, put another way, compared to many other developed countries I think you will find that NZ is relatively high when it comes to general living, affordability of homes and cars etc.

But boat ownership seems to be the exception (certainly once you have got past the initial purchase) i.e. the cost of ownership post-purchase is unusually low but it's a quirk compared to other non-nautical costs.

But you're right that Aussies deserve to be paid more to compensate for living on a barren, saline-saturated rock.

My arms are just right thank. It is the Gorse in the bottom of my pockets that are the issue :wink:

I forget where I said now, but I noted one marina in NZ, it's way up North somewhere) is stupid expensive at around the $9K/yr mark(in relation to KM's comment) and then you come right down to the opposite end of the scale. I have seen the same in the UK(in prices in PBO mag) where there are some expensive places, but also some really cheap.I think they tend to be mostly mud most of the time though.

You know, if it wasn't for us boaties, vast area's of waterway would be nothing more than stinking sludgy polluted area's of worthless Mud. We want to park a boat and suddenly that pug becomes so valuable anyone would think Gold was buried under it.

KM, I don't dispute your figs but I don't think they tell the whole story without taking into account other costs of living.

It wasn't a cost of living comparison more just a WHOT THE HELL, Chang Ching on that tiny area of it all.

All this Aussie is cheaper, UK is blaa blaa and so on is just a pile of do-dos. I live in NZ so pay what I do to do that. Those living in other places pay what they do to do that also. If you don't like it there is no other country you couldn't be living in in 30 hours, get to a airport and move. If the cost of living for anyone is a huge concern you can easily live on A$150 a week all up in a beach front property literally 5mts from the tropical waters edge and with 2 full time house staff............... in Kiribati, flights leave every Tuesday, have a safe trip.

The bollocks floating around, on both sides of the Tassie regarding the costs of living, tax rates and a lot of other stuff is generally all driven by a one-eyed crap media. I have a mate who is almost a mirror of me and my family living in Aussie and we chat. They pay a LOT more for a LOT of things we don't. We pay a LOT more of a LOT of things they don't. They have a better range of some stuff than us but then we have a far better range of goods than them in areas. At the end of the day, we both manage to feed, cloth and school our families, have a small boat and do the odd other stuff, just like 99% of the population of both countries.

Have mates in the UK and pretty much the same applies there. They earn more also but they also pay a lot more for some things. Again at the end of the day we all manage to feed, cloth and school the families.

And in an interesting twist, 3 families are moving back to NZ from Aussie as I write and one in the UK is also. The reason quoted is - lifestyle and one is 'I aren't having my kids growing up speaking funny' :)

They all know they will probably all earn less, bar one who will actually earn a lot more (for less work) than he was in Aussie, but are willing to live with that to be in a country where good sailing is 2mins away rather than 2 hours, the kids can walk the streets barefooted, and everyone doesn't speak with an accent ;)

It's all about what you want. If all you want is coin have a safe flight, if you want and are willing to pay a bit more 'sometimes' to beable to sail the Hauraki Gulf at will and knot spend 1/2 the day fighting off spiders, snakes and mozzies the size of light aircraft, welcome to NZ.

Knot directed at you AC, just a Sat morn mini rant :)

An Aussie broker said to me recently that Aussies know f*ck all abot boats but have long arms and short pockets as opposed to you pricks(kiwis) who know everything, but have short arms and long pockets...

Totally agree but that does have an upside. The NZ marine market is far more quality focused, flexible, vastly larger in the options available and cheaper.

Aussie is a huge growth market for us. We and the Aussies are finding we can send higher quality items over the ditch and even including the extra freight charges we are still a lot cheaper than buying the often nasty quality versions locally.

Which brings us back to - next time you winge about NZ chandlers remember it could be a shite load worse, you could be in Sydney.

Archived