#1 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

Due to the pin on normal shackles catching the bow roller, I went with a galv flathead screw in type but they are Chinese (Burnsco) and of course no stress testing. Whilst its held for a year now, I would prefer something that has a SWL limit for peace of mind. I been told S/S is stronger, more tensile strenght than galv but no idea what weight loading they can take? Unfortunately the only stress certified shackles I can find have a pin that sticks out the side.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#2 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

Can you not hacksaw the protruding bit off. Yachting Monthly found galv slightly stronger and less brittle than SS. Sorry that was chain they spoke of. Galv tested shackles had the highest strength but variable results."ss shackles proved to be consistently stronger than equivalent galv steel ones" So doesn't look like much difference

#3 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

Further; they had a 10mm tested (rated to 0.5 t) galv d shackle bust at 7.35t ---down to an unmarked galv d- shackle 10mm bust at 3.25t.

#4 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

DO NOT assume one metal is stronger than another as it is likely to bite you on the bum. You can get both hell strong steel and  SS as well as both steel and SS that have less structural strength than diarrhoea.

Get a Hi-load galv shackle and do what Vic suggests, zizz the end off the pin. Hi-load have over sized pins but are rated and reliable, even the chinese ones which are ALL of them that have a painted pin in any colour except Green. Green Pins cost twice as much as the rest, or should do, but they are made in the land of Daffodils and Windmills, not rickshaws and noodles. But even at twice as much they are still cheap.

They have SWL's cast on them. Multiply that load by 6 to get the break load then divide that break load by 4 to get a WLL rated the same way as your change is i.e 4:1 not the hi-load standard 6:1. 

In around 6-8 weeks there will be countersunk SS shackles that have reliable ratings in NZ. They are leaving the EU this week.

#5 twisty

twisty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Ask John B about chinese shackles. Once he's finished frothing at the mouth he might give you the lowdown !

#6 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

In around 6-8 weeks there will be countersunk SS shackles that have reliable ratings in NZ. They are leaving the EU this week.

Great!! Where?
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:17 PM

Ask John B about chinese shackles. Once he's finished frothing at the mouth he might give you the lowdown !

Most are Chinese now but if whomever orders them knows shackles they can be perfectly OK....if they don't have good knowledge then maybe they won't get a Xmas card from John ;)

In saying that we have just started getting some from Japan and the EU. The reliability and quality increase is vastly bigger than the price increase.

Where do you think Mr C Horse? ;)

#8 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

Penny dropt...

#9 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

KM, on your anchor line you couldn't mouse a shackle like that, or is there some means whereby you can?
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#10 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

KM, on your anchor line you couldn't mouse a shackle like that, or is there some means whereby you can?

Locktite?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users