15 replies to this topic

#11 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

I locktite all my shackles, never had one come loose.

#12 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

KM's "correct" anchor shackles have a split pin, just make sure to use a stainless one.

#13 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Split pin that is.!!!!!!

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

The need is to stop the initial movement of the pin, which often takes bugger all load wise. So it doesn't take much but it is important to make sure that movement doesn't happen, it is the start of a slippery slope that can end very very badly, which would be very unusual but is certainly not impossible. 

Option 1 - As the nutty horse suggests, Locktite works well, use the medium grade waterproof stuff.

O2 - Crank the pin in hard then center punch the outter edges of the tread end. This is my favourite as it works very well but you can use a big spanner, whatever, to wind it out again. That Locktite needs some heat to free it.

O3 - Some shackles have 'Safety pins' i.e. a bolt and nut like arrangement that has a hole for a split pin so if the nut does come loose it can't fall off. These tend to be Hi-Load galvanised but we have SS ones coming finally. It's been hard work finding some that are consistently trustable.

O4 - Some of the new shackles from Japan have a small retaining pin you tap in. Very effective but we'd like a closer suss of what the implications of that hole is on loads.

O5 - some of other the arriving soon gear has small O ring like things on the pin that hold it in there, rather cunning.

These new items are sexy plus products and have a 8:1 safety margin which is massive, most are only 4:1, so we expect no issues but want a wee play just for the peace of mind that gives us to say to you 'Yeap, good as gold, go for it'. This industry is rife with gear having promoted loads, limits and claims that are pure fantasy so we batch test stuff a lot just to double check what we are told it the truth. That costs but at least when the weather goes bad all I have to worry about (which I often do) is not the gear but only if the DOTS using it correctly ;)

DOTS = the Dick On The Stick

A big problem we see today is boats fitting bow roller arrangements that are far skinner than was the norm. Those ones tend to come from china and as that powerhouse rollers all the traditional manufacturers the trend won't improve soon. We do a range made in Aussie and they are sweet (and very popular) width wise. Skinny ones are OK but they do come with the issue of fitting shackles, some anchor shanks etc into them, many are that skinny the common gear just doesn't fit in them. Not insurmountable but it has meant we have had to search for options to get around that. I think we have now, we'll find out for sure shortly.

#15 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Our resident guru said get a bow shackle, green pin and do what Knott_him said, center punch the pin. Seems to think they go through the roller a lot easier. Our bow roller is 1966 and still narrow.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#16 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

Got one!! Grant Chains Ropes and Anchors to the rescue. Stainless and rated. Thanks guys.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users