AIS

While vesper is certainly one of the best, no SO class B yet, and it makes sense with some installs to use the same brand as the rest of the boats electronics.

I don't always recomend vesper, only about 90% of the time. :-)

We have a Digital Yacht AIT2000, no issues. The Chinese have got into the game too with Class B units on alixpress that actually got FCC compliance. I would probably like my money back as found no real advantage being local but good fun seeing who with AIS is anchored near you. On passages, could be a lifesaver with ships passing by and people on shore can track you through various websites. A satellite was launched 3 years ago with AIS so now world wide coverage. What is a pain is those who don't switch the bloody thing off when in port or even on the hard! Sets the proximity alarm off all the time.

Chinese AIS - be careful and be warned, certification claimed but not real, or the wrong standards tried to be flogged off as ‘certification’.

Here are the right standards

IEC 62287, IEC 60945, IEC 61108, IEC 61162, ITU-R M.1371, ITU-R M.825, ITU-R M.1084

Anything that is not certified to these standards is not legal to use here, or in most western countries.

There is a thread here somewhere about why. I’ll find the link.

Thanks for that. Do I remember discussion here a while ago but I get nothing on the search. Something about what was good or not

Have a Navman Tracker 5600, can I connect that?

There seems to be no facility on the Navman Tracker 5600 for AIS. It is not mentioned in the user/install manual. Sorry, looks like your in for a new plotter/MFD if you want to display AIS.

It has a CE on the side so must have been given the nod in the EU. FCC would'nt approve it due to the requirement of vendor only programming of the MMSI number, same as my AIT2000 which can is left open for the user to enter a MMSI number which is then locked in.

Did a good look around and found its approved for CFV...Chinese Fishing Vessels...????

Very true, the reason why we went digital yacht but unfortunately just like those horrendous wide band VHF UHF HTs they sell on alixpress, anyone can buy one and it floats through customs without a glance. No one cares.