11 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

Lectronic so Fish will like it, no WHOOSH but there still is some hissing, dodackies and a flying thing which should keep me happy. 

Had a suss and can see some patents for balloon signal, some Kickstarter like campaigns all of which didn't come off or were even close, a 2 year old Twatbook post and a few comments questioning the legitimacy of  all the funding requests. Most of that is over 4 years old, nothing recent I can see.

I do believe the idea is worth consideration. Not perfect but currently neither are any of it's fellow signalling devices.

#2 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

Loads of UFO sightings!!
""Some ships are designed to sinkā€¦ others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#3 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

at 35knts it will flat on the water

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#4 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

at 35knts it will flat on the water

Yeah I suspect it would be close.

If the wind was blowing the right way it could tow you home :)

#5 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

Lectronic so Fish will like it, 

Thanks for thinking of me KM.

I'm not sure that is lectronic though, I'd describe it more as mechanical (compressed air / helium, balloon inflation etc).

I can't see this one getting off the ground (literally, and figuratively).

Why would you carry this over a PLB?

This looked larger, and doesn't actually contact emergency services. Relies on someone nearby recognising it as a distress signal. And it doesn't say distress to me, its on the same level as one of those chinese lanterns floating in the sky, i.e. someone is having fun.

I think the guy shot his sales routine in the foot when he showed the balloon being used for 'recreation', dance festivals, marking where your campsite is etc. Looks just like a UFO (or a chinese lantern). If I saw that somewhere I'd think I was seeing things, or someone had dropped some recreational herbs in my rum...or someone was having a party with their own recreational herbs.

#6 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

BS Fish.  If your saw that you would imediately determine if it was a genuine call for distress - at least I hope you would! 

I can see this having some great advantages over pyros. 

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#7 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:06 PM

BS Fish.  If your saw that you would imediately determine if it was a genuine call for distress - at least I hope you would! 

But will you ditch your PLB and carry the disco balloon instead?

#8 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

If I saw the balloon it wouldnt mean help to me but curiosity might prevail and go and have a look to see what the hell thing was in the sky,but then again not very often get in to trouble on flat seas so might not see in wind or waves.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#9 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

Fish - I'd carry both - and probably place more trust initially in the baloon - if recent anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

F and HT - you're missing the point - its not about the "baloon" - its not just about a largish rescue orange object above the level of ground/ sea. its also about getting the long range LED light elevated.  You're sight will pick up the light long before it registers the "baloon".   

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

F and HT - you're missing the point - its not about the "baloon" - its not just about a largish rescue orange object above the level of ground/ sea. its also about getting the long range LED light elevated.  You're sight will pick up the light long before it registers the "baloon".   

What he said.

It's a small flashing light, exactly as Fish claims to prefer, but hanging under a device that gives it what it desperately needs to be an affective option as a distance signalling device slash rescue device.

The lack of distance digital flares, or more correctly flare singular as there is only one that is SOLAS approved, is a BIG downside of them. The balloon does great work at negating that issue.

A digital flare in the cockpit of a Sutrees 6.1 would be 2mts, being generous, above sea level so that means it's horizon would be 5km +/-, or out to 10km if the set of receiving eyes is also 2mts above water over the horizon. The same digital flare in the same Surtees under that balloon (reported to be 150ft or 45mts) has it's horizon increased by 500% to 25km. Probably not much increase to that due to the lights output meaning it's range is more then likely less than 20km on a good day.

I think the guy shot his sales routine in the foot when he showed the balloon being used for 'recreation', dance festivals, marking where your campsite is etc. Looks just like a UFO (or a chinese lantern). If I saw that somewhere I'd think I was seeing things, or someone had dropped some recreational herbs in my rum...or someone was having a party with their own recreational herbs.

Totally agree, that was a stupid move on their behalf. It may explain the mindset which then may explain the lack of investors.

But I do like the concept and think it has value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users