48 replies to this topic

#1 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

Not sure if there has been discussion on it before but couldn't find anything.

So some cows died from chowing down some of the stuff for dinner.

Are the doses DOC are using getting stronger and stronger? 

Fair bit of size difference between your average Fresian and your average jacko, a cow being half a tonne or more and a possum about a hundredth of that.

I'd have thought when the 1080 was spread a cow would have to eat a fair few pellets to end up dead but also that the pellets would be quite a way apart after being spread by a chopper so it wouldn't be that easy for a cow to fill itself up enough to die.

#2 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

Its very toxic stuff kills lots of deer and pigs. Doc cheif Eugine Sage is going nuts with her power lately,culling 20000 thar shortly stuffing a lot of west coast buisnesses and now shes starting on trout eradication crazy greeny winston peters has a lot to answer for.

#3 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

WV, pigs, deer and thar are pests, they cause a lot of damage unless controlled. Not sure how that's best done but I know from my days on the farm that wild pigs for example can be a massive problem if they get away same with big herds of red deer. I think the issue with thar is that they graze on plants not evolved for grazing and cause a lot of alpine degradation. Dont know why trout are a problem though?

#4 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:49 PM

My father was a deer culler and ive been hunting for 45 years and have no problem with animal control if its needed.the trouble is mass poisioning with next to no indication if its needed or not.1080 just seems to be a buisness poured on most areas every 2 years.Possom numbers are low at the moment and the excuse that they spread tb has never been proven.Slack stock control ie farmers shifting tb positive herds around have been proven to spread tb.I just wish more science was involved and it was only used where and when its needed not the blanket spreadind thats going on now.The green party want to eradicate all non native animals and fish from nz period an impossible and naive pipedream.Trout are on the list ax they eat native fish.

#5 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:50 AM

1080 is a necessary evil unfortunately Have sen good effects from 1080 particularly in a spot where we camped a lot,before the drop no bird calls early morning and plagued by possums.6 months after the drop we went back to see bell birds cuckoo calls in the morning and tui etc,trout still in the river in fact we drank the water without boiling it. Yes there will be areas on west coast where hunters/trappers cannot access so what else can you do?? 

Do not agree with 1080 drops near farms or in open public places.  TB with possums?Hmm I always thought that the possum we have was vegetarian only and the only possum to carry TB was the North Caroline possum which we do not have here,if possums carry TB I would suggest the farm or farms where possums have TB so would the cattle,my thinking is the TB would of come from the cattle.

If trout are a pest why is the hatchery still operating and public being charged a fishing licence??

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#6 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:54 AM

There are a lot of people who would like to eradicate exotic species, I think DOC and the greens are not that naive that they think they can do anything more than control them. On the DOC site they say their target is about 10,000 Thar

Animal pests A - Z: Threats and impacts

Their targets for Red Deer for example

• eradicating deer from Northland
  • eradicating feral deer from Auckland, excepting the South Kaipara & Awhitu peninsulas, in conjunction with Auckland Council
  • removing some recently introduced deer from Egmont National Park
  • preventing deer from dispersing through parts of Taranaki
  • controlling deer in Kaweka Forest Park to let mountain beech seedlings recover
  • controlling deer in the Murchison Mountains to prevent deer from damaging plants that takahe eat.

They have 4 pest fish, trout are not on the list so I think that you may have heard rhetoric or its just fearmongering among the anti-greens. I know a few hunters and there is  that sentiment because they think that the govt is going to ruin their sport.

Its worth having a look at those pest animals, some are surprisingly common

#7 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

Just beware at the moment our hunting and fishing is under the greatest threat it has ever been under if your not a native species look out,but realistically our bush will never be the same as it was we just have to control numbers.ms Sage is determined to nail any introduced species even if they are doing little damage.If people think 1080 only kills certain species thats a bit naive,it kills everything,if you want your grandkids to ever see a kea or native hawk you had better get in quick both are 70 percent down since 1080 started.Just be aware of the tv news its sugar coated propaganda. If you think living in a city this doesnt affect you beware greens hate cats and dogs as well.Half of my meat comes from the bush I would be highly pissed of if it was gone supermarket meat is full of steroids and pumped full of water thats why it shrinks when you cook it.

#8 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

I've never been Thar hunting but surely a bounty on them would be enough to keep them under control?  (take half the money the 1080 is costing to do and divide that into the number of heads to be reduced, probably work out a nice little earner)

• eradicating feral deer from Auckland, excepting the South Kaipara & Awhitu peninsulas, in conjunction with Auckland Council

There are deer outside of Woodhill forest?  Where?  

#9 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

no idea

#10 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

According to the DOC site they want to eradicate Brown Trout from a Wellington reserve as Browns were introduced in 1867.

www.doc.govt.nz/about-us/science-publications/conservation-publications/threats-and-impacts/freshwater/freshwater-restoration-and-eradication-of-trout-and-perch-at-zealandia

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users