#11 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

Hardly a policy, Zealandia is a pretty unique example and they state clearly how valuable trout are to NZ. 

#12 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

If people think 1080 only kills certain species thats a bit naive,it kills everything,if you want your grandkids to ever see a kea or native hawk you had better get in quick both are 70 percent down since 1080 started.Just be aware of the tv news its sugar coated propaganda. If you think living in a city this doesnt affect you beware greens hate cats and dogs as well.Half of my meat comes from the bush I would be highly pissed of if it was gone supermarket meat is full of steroids and pumped full of water thats why it shrinks when you cook it.

You're spreading misinformation WV.

1080 only kills mammals, and apart from two species of bat, NZ does not have any native mammals - something that's unique to NZ and why 1080 is not used heavily in other countries.  If native bird populations are in decline, its due to introduced mammals eating them, their eggs and their food source, think rats, possums, cats, stoats etc. Several native species maybe extinct now if it wasn't for 1080 assisting in there survival.

Its pertinent that you've mentioned you eat bush meat as there is a distinct correlation between hunters and the anti 1080 brigade. I understand why hunters don't want to loose their food and recreation source, but preserving our native species needs to take priority in my view.

Whilst 1080 isn't ideal, its the best and most cost effective tool we have in the toolbox and present, and until something better comes along, we should drop it everywhere.

#13 mattm

mattm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

I’m with Tuffy. Your either ignorantly or wilfully spreading misinformation WV. I’m guessing some what willfully to protect your interest in hunting. I have no issue with hunting and have been occasionally myself, but I’d choose NZ’s native wildlife over that any day thanks.

As to kea and hawk numbers being down ‘since 1080’ correlation doesn’t equal causation. Try looking at some doc studies, for example there is one on kiwi hatchling survival rates pre and post 1080. It’s like 90% died before 1080 and one out of 600 died after, and it was hit by a car, so unrelated to 1080, just died during the monitoring.
Why would DOC, forest and bird and others lie about the benefits or study results? I can’t see any reason, I know a few DOC employees, the people on the ground doing the studies and surveys, they aren’t on some kind of backhander payment to make sh*t up.
Why do hunters make up stories about 1080? That’s more plausible. They want to be able to hunt, so they base their ‘information’ on anacdotal evidence and feelings and lies, not science or fact.
If culling could solve the issue, why didn’t it solve the issue when it was being done? May have reduced deer numbers in places, but did nothing for rats, mice, stoats etc. did it?
Yes 1080 is not used in many places around the world, but they have native mammals, where as other than two species of bat we don’t.

1080 isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we have currently. I’m glad the government, for all their flaws, aren’t giving the small numbers of protestors the time of day.

#14 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

I don’t understand the obsession with returning NZ to pre-human days. Identify natural areas of importance through public consultation and throw some resources at them. Some can be managed with trapping programs, some with poison and some with predator proof fences or a combination.

Wild meat hunting is now fully entrenched in our culture and those that feed their families this way deserve to have their views respected just as much as the pro 1080 groups. People who don’t want to drink water that has been exposed to pesticides also deserve to be respected.

The pro and anti arguments are both so full of holes and single mindedness it’s laughable. There needs to be concession on both sides but the pro/anti relationship has gotten so toxic I can’t see that happening.

#15 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

Very accurate assement sabre,what people prefer not to hear about is how the animals take up to two days to die with convulsions and foam coming out there mouths until they choke on there own vomit.The big issue thats not talked about much is the secondary kill,when the animals get flyblown birds eat the maggots and die as well.Keas love digging into the kidney fat thats how they get poisoned.Also possoms that crawl under a dry log to die stay toxic to dogs for up to 2 years.The graf brothers have made a very insightful video on the subject,please look at it,it may channge the way you think.what amuses me is that 1080 is poured over the bush into riverseople drink out of and over our tramping tracks and when someone posts a couple of pellets to the beehive in protest the whole place is cordened off and a major decotamination happens.

#16 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

Should there be a  group of paid DOC staff who enter such areas a week after a drop and remove dead/dying carcasses and pallets? I understand the courts have delayed the 1080 drop in Hunua ranges and understandably so due to water catchment area,but Hunua is not rugged rather easy going so trapping/shooting would be far more practical,

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#17 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

1080 science is well established but  what we have here is pressure groups of hunters and eco warriors etc who put their special interests before the greater good. 

#18 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:27 AM

I don’t understand the obsession with returning NZ to pre-human days. Identify natural areas of importance through public consultation and throw some resources at them. Some can be managed with trapping programs, some with poison and some with predator proof fences or a combination.

Be interesting to see how this works out, hopefully it can be moved from one catchment to the next.

http://zip.org.nz/up...-south-westland

#19 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

A good article on 1080 by NZ Geographic magazine

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/1080/

#20 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

I’m involved in several conservation groups in the Coromandel, both government and non government. They are all terrified of the the anti 1080 movement and the disgusting ways they spread misinformation and threaten violence.

I’ve flown over 200 hours over the peninsula and there is no way that trapping is an alternative as they suggest and I have no problem with rats, stoats and possums taking 2 days to die a horrible death.

I regularly see pigs on the road when I drive home at night so there must be 1000’s spreading kauri dieback.

It’s such a touchy topic over here, even the conservation leaders daren’t mention their position in online forums for fear of attack either online or physically

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users