#21 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hey "Puff" the area I referred too in an earlier post is not far from you,broken hills DOC camp and since they used 1080 the area has come back to life,we go down there at least twice a year (outside normal times) on a side note since lead has gone from petrol amazing how the myna bird population has come back.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#22 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

I don't know about 1080 other than ,like fluoride,the for and against get really wound up . BTW I'm anti fluoride simply because I don't believe in mass medication via water supply ! Understand upside and downside. Not so with 1080. So question .If 1080 gets in stream and i drink it what happens to me ? Native birds eat dead mammal,does it affect them. Please facts only.

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#23 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

Around here 1080 talk is like the 81 springbok tour, mate against mate, families in conflict. Mention it in social circles and the room goes quiet and people shuffle to the door.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#24 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

So question .If 1080 gets in stream and i drink it what happens to me ? Native birds eat dead mammal,does it affect them. Please facts only.

The NZ Geographic article I linked gives some good details of the testing Landcare Research did on affected waterways. Quote below,

"Take, for instance, the claim that 1080 contaminates our waterways. Between 1990 and 2008, Landcare Research tested 2098 water samples following 1080 operations. Only three per cent were found to contain traces of 1080 and, apart from one test suspected of contamination, the levels were around 0.2 parts per billion (ppb), well below the Ministry of Health drinking-water standard of 3.5 ppb. Similarly, tests on the toxin’s impact on freshwater invertebrates and fish found no measurable effect—even when exposed to 1080 baits at 10 times the normal density."

#25 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Around here 1080 talk is like the 81 springbok tour, mate against mate, families in conflict. Mention it in social circles and the room goes quiet and people shuffle to the door.

ha, sounds like mining in the mid 80's down there.  

People need to get out of dodge a little more often...  ;-)

#26 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:21 AM

The one thats under the radar(know a few done coro way)is cyanide,paint on trees or placed in gin traps ,polly possum has a lick or 2 falls over,plucked while warm carcass just left,cyanide is just as deadly and easliy obtainable.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#27 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hippies and hunters, unlikely bedfellows. When you see hillsides covered in dead Pohutukawas skeletons up the coast you know why we need 1080 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#28 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

Hippies and hunters, unlikely bedfellows. When you see hillsides covered in dead Pohutukawas skeletons up the coast you know why we need 1080 

next time you're out in the boat and see a dead Pohutakawa check if there are 50 odd shags shitting all over it and killing it.  Not always the jacko's causing the problem.

#29 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Good point but at Cape Brett for example there are heaps, way too many for shags.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#30 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12127220

SS7HZ5HWC5BKPIERG5RKOM2ZCM.jpg

DOC had its budget severely savaged by the last government and why on earth would DOC who is charged with protecting the environment and in my view does a damned fine job intentionally place it at risk.

Whilst struggling for funding for vital conservation projects DOC picks up the costs of providing and maintaining toilet facilities for tourists and the carparks for the tour coaches whose operators pay little or nothing for along with local councils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users