Sources for gelcoat planers -buy or rent

rjp

Friends have arrived in NZ from Germany and have an osmosis issue (late 80's Swan).  They are wanting to plane the hull back to bare glass, let it dry, fill/fair etc then apply barrier coat.  Having known them for more than a decade, sailed around the Atlantic with them, worked with them on keel repairs after a grounding, rewiring, plumbing and general maintenance I am confident they have the skills to do the job, just not the tools at present.  What we are trying to find now is either somewhere that they can rent a gelcoat planer or, if necessary, purchase one.  The fall-back position is to have one bought in Europe and sent over.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Friends have arrived in NZ from Germany and have an osmosis issue (late 80's Swan).  They are wanting to plane the hull back to bare glass, let it dry, fill/fair etc then apply barrier coat.  Having known them for more than a decade, sailed around the Atlantic with them, worked with them on keel repairs after a grounding, rewiring, plumbing and general maintenance I am confident they have the skills to do the job, just not the tools at present.  What we are trying to find now is either somewhere that they can rent a gelcoat planer or, if necessary, purchase one.  The fall-back position is to have one bought in Europe and sent over.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I watched a chap take a large piece of gelcoat off the side of his boat in sulphur point. With an electric plane. did not seem to take that long.

Try contacting Hutcheson boat builders in Tauranga, If they can be hired Terry may know where . This yard  did a bottom job on our Hood 38 built in 1986.Having seen a planer set up I don't think they would save much on the labour cost better to pay a contractor to do it. I gather  the process on the Hood was quite long and involved, after planing the hull was repeatedly rinsed with fresh water to (I think) get rid of salt contamination. The laminate moisture content was measured until it reached the required level then it was re-faired and 2 layers of CSM added using vinyl Ester, more fairing , then Epoxy paint etc, I think it all took 6 months. The previous owner did quite a bit of the straightforward but labor intensive  work but paid the pros to do the tricky bits, best way to save money. All I can say is that I'm glad it was all sorted before we purchased.

Thanks Frank.  I had passed on Mike Menzies name to them already but I had not done so with Hutcheson's.  An estimate had been given to them (not sure if it was someone in Opua or Whangarei) of $35k.  With that sticked shock I can understand why they are thinking of doing this themselves.  Thanks

Given the length of time on the hardstand (months ?) I wonder if the biggest cost element is simply the accumulated  yard fees.

I get the impression that most of the time the vessel is just sitting there drying out and being monitored.