Integrel generator replacement

cj!

The agent Sopac has stock, high $20,000 area.

My question apart from having to buy it and lay in the big 48V battery pack is how much load on the crank? All modern engines have definite limits to PTO loading and side loading via the multirib belt . Also if this thing is mounted on bracketry off the engine -as it should be to move together how much extra weight on the engine mounts?

This thing is more for the above average boat. The minimum bank size (and it is stressed as minimum) is 10Kwhr. That's a fair chunk of battery bank for a starter. The unit is aimed at Boats with high power demands, like say Charter Boats that are using AirC, Washing Machines, Dishwashers etc etc. Which you have to then question why they would not be using a dedicated Genset and providing mains voltage direct, rather than charge a large Battery bank at 48V, then convert that via a DC to DC charger to 12 or 24V to run the normal DC gear, then convert back to Mains via an inverter. So what am I missing here, especially as it is Nigel Calder. He's not silly. Why such a complex system that is kind of huge in ability and huge in size of battery banks, but seemingly aimed at being run by the smaller limited power engines.

Interesting option

If I was building a new 45’ plus boat I’d consider it quite seriously

I went seperate genset so I had two independent power supplies

Would be very realistic option in a Cat where you could have a duel system possibly and then have the backup of two generators powering one system ? Then not need a genset