Oil level

Guest 000

The Lombardini 60hp we have is a pretty sweet running engine, but maintaining the oil level is a bit problematic.

If I fill the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick, it will drop down over 50 hours running to about 6mm below the full mark, and there it stays. I have topped it up a couple of times and always the same thing happens.

I talked with a mechanic at a canal boat hire company and he said that the Nanni diesels in the hire fleet do the same thing.

I've never heard of thus before - anybody else?

Yes, at 6mm down its still well over the minimum mark so no problem, just wondering why it does that and where the oil goes - no smoke to be seen. The engine has a crazy dipstick. It is a tightly wound wire spiral rather like a long skinny spring with a solid steel tip where the measurement marks are. The high/low marks are in the form of two protruding ferrules. The dipstick goes vertically down and then curves into the sump at a 45 degree angle. The bottom ferrule draws oil up the dipstick pipe when you withdraw it, particularly in the curve so you can only read the level the first time you pull the stick. Wiping the stick, pushing it back in and out again gives a false reading as the residual oil in the pipe coats the entire bottom section of the dipstick.

Italians. ..dipsticks!

Many engines do this, if the -6mm level is constant that is your effective oil level. Don't sweat it or waste oil topping it up. My bike (old BMW) should take 2l, finds its own level at 1 3/4l and there it stays. well it does burn a little but on a trip to Dunedin and back it will use about 1/2 l.

I think Steve is on the money.

So, for some reason the engine doesn't like the oil level to be up to the full mark on the dipstick and so burns it off until the level reaches about 6mm below full and there it stays. And I will just have to be happy about that!