Downtown Stadium

Here is a question.

In the future when the port closes and the land of the wharf area is returned to the public will all of the reclamation be removed to return harbour area to more water space?

My guess is it will be deemed “too valuable” and all the space used for development.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking forward to the day that such valuable land isn't used to store cars. I'm also ok with the reclaimed areas being turned into public space but I don't want to see apartments or a football stadium being built there. I think we can do better for the people of Auckland than that.

The 2030 Auckland Blues are 2 minutes away from winning the Super Rugby final with a unassailable lead when the Queens Wharf mooring dolphin tethering the Titanic II catastrophically fails causing the ship to run into the newly completed subterranean Waterfront Stadium resulting in the tragic loss of all 15 spectators watching the match. 

e9vyyxg.jpg

resulting in the tragic loss of all 15 spectators watching the match. 

hahah,most excellent!  that's making me rocl!  (roll on the couch laughing)  (too lazy to get on the floor and rofl)

but really I totally agree with cjl, a waterfront stadium is nothing but a developers wet dream.

No developer is ever going to fund a waterfront stadium.

If the project was ever going to fly it would be a PPPP not to be confused for a PPP.

Public pays for private profits.

For those of you that are concerned about the welfare of the Auckland Blues team I failed to mention that the team played the entire match wearing mandatory full body PFD,s resulting in no loss of life.

Team management spoke highly of the advice they received from ETNZ regarding safety at sea after the 2021 AC Cup resulted in no final racing take place due to a fatal high speed collision between all four syndicates during a fleet race that saw all crews perish.

Just what we need another stadium.

Mt Smart - league but the council wanted to shift that to North Harbour, well known centre of league fans.......

North Harbour, where the Blues play sometimes for home matches for the South African teams

Western Springs - Speedway now being booted out by the airport so we can have cricket there......  We lose a fantastic centre of city speedway with huge history.

Eden Park, a world class rugby stadium with history that cant be replaced.

And we need another stadium because we have nothing else to spend money on..........................

Agree with you Dutyfree.

PWC has already scoffed a million dollars of ratepayers hard earned loot to provide a confidential feasibility scope for a new stadium

Phil the 110 unused LAV,s Goff is angling to leave Auckland with another financial millstone legacy.

Look towards next weeks announcement to see the Mayor and private interests kick off on this swap of Eden Park development rights for a shaky dodgy privately funded waterfront white elephant that will ultimately see the ratepayer underwriting the inevitable shortfalls.

Central Government should be urgently looking to place Auckland City Council under statutory management as the city is close to bankruptcy

and woefully incapable of reigning in raging rates increases and providing basic municipal services to suit the ever growing population.

I just wish they'd hurry up and make a call on whether or not the PoA is going to stay or go, and if it goes, where to. 

Its a godawful eyesore and the land has huge potential to transform the Auckland waterfront. Stadium or not, that whole area could be a beautiful space for everyone to enjoy rather than a container park and used car yard.

Agree with you Dutyfree.

PWC has already scoffed a million dollars of ratepayers hard earned loot to provide a confidential feasibility scope for a new stadium

Phil the 110 unused LAV,s Goff is angling to leave Auckland with another financial millstone legacy.

Look towards next weeks announcement to see the Mayor and private interests kick off on this swap of Eden Park development rights for a shaky dodgy privately funded waterfront white elephant that will ultimately see the ratepayer underwriting the inevitable shortfalls.

Central Government should be urgently looking to place Auckland City Council under statutory management as the city is close to bankruptcy

and woefully incapable of reigning in raging rates increases and providing basic municipal services to suit the ever growing population.

I understand that Eden Park is a privately owned Trust? Not council owned.

The Eden Park Trust board numbers nine of which five are central government appointees.

The government wrote off its 2011 world cup development contribution and would prefer to see the stadium and risks pass to Auckland City.

The stadium owes $50 mil to the CBA and only just meets interest costs, this debt has Auckland City as sole guarantor.

Eden Park assets are ripe for the plundering and the future does not look bright. 

As for POAL vacating the waterfront look to a minimum 30 years of same same.

Winnie the Pooh is going to be a plaque on a wall hopefully somewhere well away from minors before those new cranes journey on.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/94595186/eden-park--the-fortress-no-one-wants