16 replies to this topic

#1 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

So we can give up valuable wharf space for a football? stadium, but not use the existing long wharves for the longer cruise ships -instead expanding further into the harbour?  The council is going mad.

#2 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Going?
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#3 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

Here is a question.

In the future when the port closes and the land of the wharf area is returned to the public will all of the reclamation be removed to return harbour area to more water space?

My guess is it will be deemed “too valuable” and all the space used for development.

Any thoughts?

#4 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

I'm looking forward to the day that such valuable land isn't used to store cars. I'm also ok with the reclaimed areas being turned into public space but I don't want to see apartments or a football stadium being built there. I think we can do better for the people of Auckland than that.

#5 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

The 2030 Auckland Blues are 2 minutes away from winning the Super Rugby final with a unassailable lead when the Queens Wharf mooring dolphin tethering the Titanic II catastrophically fails causing the ship to run into the newly completed subterranean Waterfront Stadium resulting in the tragic loss of all 15 spectators watching the match. 

e9vyyxg.jpg

#6 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

The 2030 Auckland Blues are 2 minutes away from winning the Super Rugby final with a unassailable lead when the Queens Wharf mooring dolphin tethering the Titanic II catastrophically fails causing the ship to run into the newly completed subterranean Waterfront Stadium resulting in the tragic loss of all 15 spectators watching the match.

:thumbup: :thumbup:  :D :D

#7 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

resulting in the tragic loss of all 15 spectators watching the match. 

hahah,most excellent!  that's making me rocl!  (roll on the couch laughing)  (too lazy to get on the floor and rofl)

but really I totally agree with cjl, a waterfront stadium is nothing but a developers wet dream.

#8 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:44 AM

No developer is ever going to fund a waterfront stadium.
If the project was ever going to fly it would be a PPPP not to be confused for a PPP.
Public pays for private profits.

For those of you that are concerned about the welfare of the Auckland Blues team I failed to mention that the team played the entire match wearing mandatory full body PFD,s resulting in no loss of life.
Team management spoke highly of the advice they received from ETNZ regarding safety at sea after the 2021 AC Cup resulted in no final racing take place due to a fatal high speed collision between all four syndicates during a fleet race that saw all crews perish.

#9 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

Of course it would have to be a floating stadium to cope with the imminently predicted sea rise!

#10 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

Good Idea SP then it can be towed to different ports for major games.

Just think of an AB tests at Tauranga, Gisborne Napier, Picton, Timaru, Buff and New plymonth.

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users