Photo

Solar panel doesn’t appear to be charging.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#11 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:50 PM

Its certainly difficult to find decent flexible panels at this time, lots of cheap crap out there. I've been caught as well. Currently I'm trying the juice panels. We'll see..

Solbian seem the best, but are a horrendous price here.

Check your warranties carefully. Some are short (1 yr) some longer 5,10 or even 20 yrs, but only on the individual cells. These warranties are a waste of time - its the top covers (PET or whatever) that fails, but its not covered!

I don't recommend anything at this time.

I originally had 2 unisolar panels out of the US. Lasted over 10 years. So good flexible solar can be done.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#12 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

You need an amp meter and short out the panel's terminals to see if they are still up to scratch. I use a clamp meter which are great, works on AC and DC. Simply clamp one conductor then short them out. I agree about flex panels, got two off smart marine and after 2 years they went milky colour. Rang smart marine and I kid you not, the guy asked "you didn't leave them out in the sun did you"......😅
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#13 funlovincriminal

funlovincriminal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationStanmore Bay, Whangaparaoa

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

Flexibles seem to be ok if you flex them ONCE... Slightly... and glue them down. Mine were fully mobile and just bungeed/laid wherever they'd fit on a day by day basis while cruising. they'd get wind under them and flap etc, eventually the joiners between cells would fail and that would be it. The problem is a solid 100w panel on an 8.3 meter sports yacht is a big, ungainly piece of meccano indeed and I'm not fitting a bimini  :roll:

"We are not at home to Mr Cock-up"

#14 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

my ones that lasted 10 years were velcroed to the bimini. Good quality ones are fine.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#15 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:44 AM

Its certainly difficult to find decent flexible panels at this time, lots of cheap crap out there. I've been caught as well. Currently I'm trying the juice panels. We'll see..

Solbian seem the best, but are a horrendous price here.

Check your warranties carefully. Some are short (1 yr) some longer 5,10 or even 20 yrs, but only on the individual cells. These warranties are a waste of time - its the top covers (PET or whatever) that fails, but its not covered!

I don't recommend anything at this time.

I originally had 2 unisolar panels out of the US. Lasted over 10 years. So good flexible solar can be done.

Any experience with Goflex, Matt?  I got three of them that I am soon to lay down on my cabin top. I considered the Juice brand from Enertec, but they don't come in the smaller foot print I need.  I am, however, going to buy a pair of Juice AGM's off Enertec.

They(the Goflex)  appear well made, though they are of Chinese origin.  I would prefer Solbian, but my God you would almost need to win Lotto to afford them,

#16 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

Nah, havn't had anything to do with Goflex at this stage. I can offer an alternative price for quality AGM's or VRLA if you want?

#17 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

Nah, havn't had anything to do with Goflex at this stage. I can offer an alternative price for quality AGM's or VRLA if you want?

Not quite ready to buy agm's yet.  But may hit you up when I am. Cheers

#18 carpenter29

carpenter29

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGulf Harbour

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

So I’ve put a voltmeter directly on the solar panel plugs. The volts seem to range from about 13 up to 16 in direct sunlight. Does that sounds like it’s stuffed?
Boat is sold, looking for a new one. Hopefully an Elliott 1050.

#19 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

13 is a bit low but 16 is a viable number.

If it's sitting at 16 +/-  in full sun then it's working. The magic box controller should turn that into 13.7-14.4V for charging. Much less that 16 and and you have a problem.

Mine put out around 19V.

I have a GoFlex lying in the backyard that has been blown all over the show by weather, used as a warm sleeping pad by cats, chewed a bit by something, hit by a lawnmower, became a roof of a massive ant farm, been shat on by numerous birds and Willow trees, buried under grass clipping, found a pissed party goer asleep on it last weekend and more. It's wired to the boat via 5-6 scrap bits of wire just taped together. It will have the battery sitting at 14.2V as I write this. I'm way more confident in their tuffness now than when I purchased them, in fact I'm a little surprised it's still working so well, I have found it near bent in 1/2 twice. I really should be nicer to it...Na, I have a spare. Mind you at the price they should be good, they aren't at the budget end of the scale.

#20 carpenter29

carpenter29

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGulf Harbour

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hmmm. At 16 from the panel the controller was showing 10 - 12, and 0 amps. Anyway I’ve taken it back and am now looking for another panel. Burnsco no longer stock the same panel type and the replacement won’t fit on the eyelits on the dodger. Too wide.
Who stocks the magic GoFlex?
Boat is sold, looking for a new one. Hopefully an Elliott 1050.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users