Help! Fizzing gland.

Any current from enginecould travel down shaft.seal has water in it which will be touch bronze fitting.zinc on shaft wears away. Can just be a simple case of salt crystals drying on fitting.amazing how salt gets in from air even though no physical water. Yet to see any bronze fittings on a vessel that has not tarnished over the years and has no white on it. Salt water is amazing stuff and when dry how/where it makes contact.

My first yacht was surveyed and the second / tap fitting never got picked up as a problem.bronze skin fitting with a ss tap with a copper tail. Engine water intake corroded and butterfly thing inside gave way and copper tail fell off due to corrosion.vessel sank on mooring.insurabce sent parts away for analysing. Result due to combination if dissimilar caused failure

Yep, that would happen as the components are all in contact with each other. The trouble for us is the fizzing gland is not touching anything but the kauri shaft log. The PSS is rubber mounted, cutlass is vesconite so non conductive. It will be interesting next year when we pull the lot out! Post a few pics too. I'm sure Noel is right that the wood has seawater leaching in around where the gland is and is reacting creating caustic soda?

Again, fastener corrosion. Common in wooden boats. All you need is damp wood - which is conductive. It’s in the link I posted above.

Links involve mostly electrical conduction (potential). This is a chemical reaction that probably isn't helped by stray currents but bonding etc isn't going to achieve anything. The sodium chloride, bronze, oxygen and high sap content of kauri timber creating NaOH. Looks like lots of vinegar squirting coming up. I have removed that non connected big zinc from the shaft log, a nice big gap now needing filling, as its of no use anyway. Another old coger in the yard here Matt said its a common problem, he had the same and lasted years on a kauri boat. Use white vinegar, period. Only problem now is having a penchant for fish'n'chips all the time Now!!

Latest up date. The gland is no longer fizzing, stopped squirting it with white vinegar some time ago . Now it's slowing oozing a brown thick liquid! Seems to seeping out from the timber around it. What's going on!!?