#31 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:38 PM

Bloody nice guy,his whole attitude was lets have some fun,excellent guy,that was back in 1998

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#32 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:50 AM

I don't see the rationale for cheating on keelboat PHRF measurements, why bother since you'll get sprung eventually as people are not stupid. Surely boat speeds dont vary that much unless its extras/no extras, 2 handed or fully crewed, which is covered when you enter a specific event.

The thing is very few get sprung.

Hey, as PHRF usage, like the fleet sizes, are growing well so there is no need to do much but sit on or hands. Silly me for suggesting otherwise.

#33 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

Tends to be things like undeclared Code zeros, which in 4 knots can make a MASSIVE difference.

#34 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

The thing is nobody protests boats sailing outside their cert.
If a boat got chucked out every now and then it would stop, but with next to no chance of being held to account there will always be someone who will push the limits

The best sailors do it two handed

#35 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:35 AM

Bloody nice guy,his whole attitude was lets have some fun,excellent guy,that was back in 1998

Last time I saw him he was making shade sails in WA. Made a number 2 blade for my Cav 32, best sail I've ever had.

#36 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:35 AM

Sails like code zeros are almost too obvious compared to keels, rudder or even moveable ballast, I know that if I was up against my main competitor and they turned up with a new prod I would be checking the public database for sure.  I suspect the small number to non existent number of boats being protested for undeclared mods is probably because A. Most people are really honest and B. PHRF is small cheese for most club racers. Among the big boys I am sure that compliance is a big thing because if you're putting together a 50k campaign to take your TP that demands $350k a year in running costs and a pro crew offshore then your IRC/PHRF is extremely important whereas in an event like the SSANZ I'll bet half the fleet dont even know or care about cert compliance.

#37 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

I wonder what impact inaccurate or overly conservative declarations have on the base handicap?

It is well known that IRC hits boats that run both asymetric and symetric kites. I'd expect this to be a factor on PHRF, as you have the sail for every wind angle there is.

SNS's cert declares that no spinnaker pole is carried, but goes on to give dimensions for a good sized mast head spinnaker. A length is declared for a bow sprit, and a fractional asymetric is declared.

In the BNZ review, there was no bowsprit but there is a photo of them using a spinnaker pole. I don't know what the configuration was for the Coastal or if the bow sprit has been installed or not.

Certainly, if you can't run an asymetric but you declare one, that is not going to help your handicap.

#38 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Tends to be things like undeclared Code zeros, which in 4 knots can make a MASSIVE difference.

That's not a PHRF problem, that's a personal integrity problem!

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#39 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

100% agree. I was just responding to the comment from native about ‘how much difference does it make etc.’

#40 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

The thing is nobody protests boats sailing outside their cert.
If a boat got chucked out every now and then it would stop, but with next to no chance of being held to account there will always be someone who will push the limits

Oh hell yes.

Oh hell yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users