44 replies to this topic

#1 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

Just what the third most obese nation in the OECD needs.

#2 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

I was in the CBD last Monday, the first day the scooters were out there. Having a mid morning cuppa while we waited for the Judge to sort out his court and the assembled team were all commenting on how long it would be before the scooters caused grief in assorted manners.

We guessed correctly, about 1 week.

#3 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Scooters, males, bars, drinking culture, footpaths, wharves, water...... what could go wrong?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#4 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

Or how much of the hype around the acc claims etc is just nz's useless media looking for clickbait?

I used one today, turned my 20 minute walk into a 4 minute ride. Didn't kill myself, or any pedestrians.

#5 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Came up from Patty to the big smoke.

I drove Giles Ave and Manukau Rd today scooters everywhere on the footpath, 4 up by the Melville Park, a couple more by the bus stop, then scattered all the away down Manukau Rd to Newmarket just left at various places, properly 10 -12 of them.

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#6 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

Onzo are about to dump another 2000 e scooters into Auckland adding to their bike fleet.
You have got to love capitalism.

#7 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

Personally I think they're great. Though I do wonder how well they'll work on hills in the rain...

#8 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

I think they're a great idea, and will get people out of their cars. 

If enough people started doing this, then there'd be fewer cars in the city, and we could reallocate 1 lane each way on those city streets as scooter/bike/e-transport lanes, helping to get more scooters off the footpath and give them somewhere to be used more safely w.r.t. motor vehicles. Take up a sh*t ton less space for parking as well.

We have them over here, along with share bikes (O-bike but they went bust; Lime bike - still here; e-Bikes and normal bikes sponsored by the city). They are revolutionising public transport - and this is in a place where everyone already uses public transport. 

They're particularly awesome for people to get to n' from transport hubs, especially smaller hubs in suburbs etc. Instead of trying to drive to the park n ride, why not take an e-scooter? Hell, even buy your own and take it with you on the bus. 

Regarding obesity, I had the same ideas about e-bikes. But the reality is, it gets people out of their cars and moving. 

Lastly, people concerned bout the safety of these things. There was a recent idea to lower the speed limit in the city to 30kph. it would barely affect transit times (average speed is so low) but it would make it a crap load safer to use bikes or e-transport in the city. This will lead to more and more uptake, further reducing car use = safer still.

If you mandate helmets for these things, few/no one will use the scooters. NZ needs to look at how transport issues are being solved in progressive countries. It's not by building roads or mandating helmet use. Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Norway... no helmet law - fit healthy people, might be more than a correlation. 

An oncologist I know uses his e-Bike to commute +40km to work. Rain or shine, sun or snow. 

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#9 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

i think they're great too and show huge promise 

BUT

we seem to have so many dickheads now with no sense of responsibility that it seems 50/50

if the dickheads will learn to use them responsibly before the scooters get legislated into irrelevancy

- guy hooning downhill falls off and blames scooters brakes for not working

they aren't fly by wire, they are a reliable, simple mechanical system

BUT they operate way, way below the centre of gravity of a standing adult..... and are nowhere near as effective as bicycle brakes....what could possibly go wrong if those 15cm wheels dropped into a 15cm pothole?

- young guys trying to jump them over speed bumps outside the library...not paying much attention to cars the speed bumps were built for

- guy going up queen st in the bus lane, at 15kph...slowing down the bus behind him that wants to go faster...did he have his ear pods in?

- guy conversing on his phone with 1 hand of the throttle side...none on the brake...on the albert st....god forbid a mum exiting a building with a pushchair

hopefully people will get over the novelty of them and work out safe ways to use them before too many accidents

ps the media are very slippery too

the story quoting acc accidents, was drawing a parallel between lime scooter use and total scooter accidents

lime scooters are probably only 10%? of scooters and 50%? of electric scooters

it's wrong to imply that all scooter accidents are lime

and if you can't break down the stats to lime scooters you probably shouldn't use the stats

if posts offend .. or even too hard

please "ignore" :thumbup:

http://crew.org.nz/f...ea=ignoredusers

#10 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Encountered a Limey in the truck the other day whistling along Poncey Rd amidst the traffic clutching a mobile taking a selfie.

You surely can not cure dumb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users