#11 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

Well you can, but it would have been messy

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#12 wal

wal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

Spotted 3 Limeys parked in a row on the (empty) footpath on Gt Nth Rd opposite Western Springs

Managed to suppress the urge to point the mighty Terrahhhno over the top of the lot of them.........

E scooters look cool

It's the idiots that'll ruin it

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#13 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:11 AM

???
I've completely missed the point.
Why not just drop the compulsory helmet law for bicycles? That would lift short trip / commuter cycling usage massively.

It's much harder to crash off a bike than a scooter...

It's not like the wheel needs to be re-invented again is it?

#14 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

???
I've completely missed the point.
Why not just drop the compulsory helmet law for bicycles? That would lift short trip / commuter cycling usage massively.

It's much harder to crash off a bike than a scooter...

It's not like the wheel needs to be re-invented again is it?

I'm quite keen on my helmet. C
ycling big distances in a lot of countries forces one to the conclusion that NZ has way more than its fair share or moronic motorists. And as a result of one of those MMs I did a header into the kerb. Strained a few muscles in my neck but the helmet was split in two. Glad it was the helmet and not my head.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#15 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

But perhaps cycle helmets should be made voluntary as to wear or not to wear is the perfect self regulating system.
Those who perceive the need to protect the brain's functionality will wear one. Those who do not demonstrate that they have nothing worth protecting.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#16 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

Have a old girlfriend who received a brain injury from a fairly benign bicycle accident. Pretty much destroyed her life.

$100 lid would have prevented such a waste.

I have recently crossed to the dark side and like most motorists would regularly fall victim to the red fog of rage whilst encountering cyclists.

Now my resplendent dad bod is wrapped in the reassuring cling of lycra I have seen the light.

Bicycles are the future and with annual growth rates of some 45,000 new cyclists coupled with advanced technology and safety features, cost of guzzalene ,parking, maintenance, insurances, environmental concerns etc the one remaining missing link is to address the historical angst that exists between motorists and cyclists.

If cycling lobby groups had pushed for more rider driver education programs rather than ridiculous unused poorly planned dedicated cycleways it could well have paved the way for a more harmonious relationship between the parties.

Hey why not fund a city wide program of politically correct male and female lithe hotties on cycles which will replace the unsightly hoboes that presently wash your windscreens. 

#17 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

have just organised the loading of lime apps into family phones

now we're off 

the juicers, people who try around at night collecting them for charge

seem to be dropping them off early mornings at bus stops in the inner suburbs

you can see how disruptors like this can leverage public transport without costing the rate payer 

commuters more likely to leave the car at home and walk 1km? to public transport

if that 1km could quite likely be a $2? ride on a scooter

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#18 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

No doubt some clever bugger will figure out how to dis- arm the app and get a free scooter

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#19 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

But perhaps cycle helmets should be made voluntary as to wear or not to wear is the perfect self regulating system.
Those who perceive the need to protect the brain's functionality will wear one. Those who do not demonstrate that they have nothing worth protecting.

This is what I'm on about.

My perception is that powered scooters are more dangerous than bicycles. But currently legislation mandates for the use of safety equipment on bicycles, while powered scooters are completely unregulated.

And cycle touring is a different proposition to short duration bike journeys, i.e. from home or work to a bus stop or train station.

Have a old girlfriend who received a brain injury from a fairly benign bicycle accident. Pretty much destroyed her life.

$100 lid would have prevented such a waste. 

And don't get me wrong, I think helmets are a fundamental safety item. I wouldn't ride without one. It's the bit about legal compulsion on a bike, but not a scooter. Doesn't make sense.

And if you want to encourage the uptake of alternative forms of transport, the key is to remove barriers to using those forms of transport. Bikes have legislated barriers, helmets, not being allowed to ride on footpaths. Powered scooters, no helmets, zoom all over footpaths.

Powered scooters may get massive uptake, bikes probably would too if they were treated to the same rules, or lack of rules as the powered scooters...

#20 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Bicycle helmets should be optional however  powered scooters have no rights over pedestrians and if any dude/dudess on a scooter tries to usurp mine as a biped on a narrow path there will be feedback.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users