Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

New York Yacht Club launch America's Cup test boat

QVRHB52CBBCVBMSOYWRGWQMHTE.jpg

The New York Yacht Club have officially hit the water, launching their 2021 America's Cup test boat on the weekend.

American Magic posted images on their Facebook page of the fully-foiling monohull test boat with four crew on board sailing in Rhode Island. Their release follows INEOS Team UK's launch in July.

The American prototype features noticeable differences to Team UK's smaller QUANT 23 test boat, such as separate areas for the helmsmen and crew on both sides of the yacht.

American Magic have also opted for a cockpit layout, compared to the British team's open deck approach.

The high-performance monohulls are expected to be potentially faster than the catamarans sailed last year in Bermuda.

Team New Zealand and challenger of record Luna Rossa are yet to launch their first prototypes but are believed to have similar projects under way, with the permitted launch date for the first AC75 in just under five months.

It is believed that Team New Zealand are undergoing experimental work on a simulator - a similar approach to their lead up to the successful victory in Bermuda.

#2 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

History has shown the TNZ / Emerates are innovators, and getting on the water too early only gives the competition more time to catch up.

#3 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Getting on the water late in the last cup was no issue, as long as boats faster.

#4 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

As a naming rights sponsor they would be hoping the average punter could spell their name correctly

EMIRATES

#5 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

If that boat's the answer, it must have been a pretty dumb question. If I was Emirates I'd be building a time machine and going back to revisit the decision to race it in such stupid boats

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#6 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

If that boat's the answer, it must have been a pretty dumb question. If I was Emirates I'd be building a time machine and going back to revisit the decision to race it in such stupid boats

Personally I'm going to withhold judgement until I see them sailing. Certainly something different, but perhaps it'll turn out to be good.

#7 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

The Corinthian clubs probably said the same thing about Bruce Farrs early designs :-)

#8 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:52 AM

With you there Puff.
The boat is really just a trimaran just a zillion dollars more than anything ever built and as much use as tits on a bull regarding the myth of design trickle down.
Ian Farrier will be smiling

#9 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

Haven't we heard this before with the advent of horseless carriages, multihulls and fibreglass? I blame the youth of today,  no respect

#10 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Come on there Puff, remember you have forsaken multiple hulls for a very attractive classic leadmine.  :wtf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users