13 replies to this topic

#1 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

I know some people find the idea of a TV on a boat abhorrent, but putting that debate aside for a moment I wondered what is thought of the following setup:

We want a smart TV since it can be a repeater for the chart plotter, but smart TVs start at 32" by the look of it, and that getting a little big for our saloon. The reality is that also is probably going to be more used for steaming media from a onboard mini PC.

How about a 24" monitor, with a Chromecast attached. That gets around the streaming issue.

Then, if ever I decided I really wanted Freeview, I wonder if I could get it to work with one of the USB dongles and stick it up a halyard???

Edited by bigal.nz, 01 November 2018 - 08:18 PM.

#2 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

I have Freeview works on my boat in Auckland has some sort of disc type antenna on the radar arch gets most channels but not tv one if in town. Came with the boat and not affected by direction but only works close to town.

#3 TimB

TimB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNelson

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Try the RV shops for 12 and 24 V TVs.

#4 TimB

TimB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNelson

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Why is the font so small?

#5 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

We had free view on the cav with one of those round arials,worked fine if you can see the sky tower,just got tv1 and woody bay rakino,the rv ones I think are simular to skydish so vessels cannot turn,we settled for tv/dvd combo and that was fine. 

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#6 clochmerle

clochmerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

I know some people find the idea of a TV on a boat abhorrent, but putting that debate aside for a moment I wondered what is thought of the following setup:

We want a smart TV since it can be a repeater for the chart plotter, but smart TVs start at 32" by the look of it, and that getting a little big for our saloon. The reality is that also is probably going to be more used for steaming media from a onboard mini PC.

How about a 24" monitor, with a Chromecast attached. That gets around the streaming issue.

Then, if ever I decided I really wanted Freeview, I wonder if I could get it to work with one of the USB dongles and stick it up a halyard???

Hi,

Don't know the best tv.  I would use raspberry pi (good because 5 volts) with kodi installed for the media player, plug in an external hdd for the media.

the usb dongles don't have as good signal as a inbuilt freeview tv, I would try for a 12v tv somewhere.

#7 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:40 PM

Maybe a USB tuner, but connected to a external antenna....could be way to go. Need to find a ultra thin monitor.

Edited by bigal.nz, 04 November 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#8 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

I know some people find the idea of a TV on a boat abhorrent, but 

Sorry, stopped reading 8>)

#9 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Had a TV for rainy days a few boats ago but just use a laptop nowadays, much more versatile, get the right one and they are are a lot hardier when it comes to the marine environment also. 

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#10 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

Yip Laptop or large Ipad does the job on our boat, what's left on TV now worth watching?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users