Yanmar

Having just purchased a new engine, and having spent considerable time assessing tech specs, price, warrantees, performance etc, it is beyond me where the value proposition is for yanmars. I.e. they are expensive compared to several other engine brands of equivalent or better specs and performance.

From recent prices based on an actual purchase decision and not tyre kicking, you are potentially paying a 25% premium for the brand name.

And to be frank I wasn't that impressed with the level of customer service for a genuine inquiry either.

If I had had the extra loot when I repowered I would have had a Yanmar.

Crikey, they ain’t cheap but in my opinion bloody great purpose built marine diesels.

My list was long in upgrading the engine,new fuel tank, electrics ,engine bed etc so went Beta and more than happy with a converted digger tractor motor.

However next yacht is going to have a Yanmar featured and readily accessible in a clear cover situated smack in the middle of the saloon.

More than 3000 hours, around 20 years old and touch wood absolutely no issues. 60hp 4cyl turbo generally run at 2500rpm (max 3400) and carefully serviced every 200 hours (150 is Yanmar recommendation). No oil used between services. (Also has regular coolant changes)  I hear parts are not cheap but to date haven't needed any apart from filters bought from Transdiesel. The other thing I do is run it in gear at 1500rpm for an hour with bursts up to 3200 in neutral every 2 weeks without fail.

If I had had the extra loot when I repowered I would have had a Yanmar.

Crikey, they ain’t cheap but in my opinion bloody great purpose built marine diesels.

My list was long in upgrading the engine,new fuel tank, electrics ,engine bed etc so went Beta and more than happy with a converted digger tractor motor.

However next yacht is going to have a Yanmar featured and readily accessible in a clear cover situated smack in the middle of the saloon.

If you are perfectly happy with your converted tractor digger motor, why would you want to spring the extra $$$?

(genuinely interested, I'm not asking just cause I bought the same digger motor) Where is the extra value in the Yanmar? does it make the prop go around in more alluring sexy circles, or just round in circles like every other inboard marine diesel? 

My opinion and high regard for Yanmars is experienced based.

They are a purpose designed and built marine diesel and are the well proven go to brand for many of my sailing colleagues.

This is not as clear a product difference of choice such as Ozito vs Makita but a straw poll amidst my whanua strongly favours Yanmar.

The Beta does the same job but has weak links in the Pommie marine conversion such as the alloy cased heat exchanger and the Yanmar has exhaust riser durability issues and like Volvo expensive replacement part costs.

Yup ,they all make the prop go around but as a accomplished amateur marine mechanic I will next time reach for a Yanmar and not for reasons of brand snobbery.

Mr Beta ready to come aboard happy days.

6726BD7B-704D-4F8C-88D7-8F9581E1F8BA.jpeg

We still have original water pumps, heat exchanger and exhaust elbow. I have dismantled both the heat exchanger and the elbow and they are mint. Interestingly this model - 4jh2dte - has no zinc although other Yanmars do have them. I have fitted a zinc in the salt water piping just in case. Also fitted a second water filter after the saltwater pump to catch any broken impellor blades otherwise they end up in the gearbox cooler. Have also an aqua alarm in the seawater line after the first filter. This is adjustable for flow sensing and has saved the engine on numerous occasions. Best insurance for any engine.

http://aqualarm.net/...water-flow-c-2/

This alarm has gone off in our boat at least a dozen times over the years - generally blockages with seaweed.

Got the strainers from general marine services in Westhaven

Yanmars are great. I have had GMs, JHs and currently two 315s which are actually Toyota Landcruiser motors in disguise I believe. Buy your parts from Singapore and be happy. Mazda starter motors interchange with the JHs for example.

Currently running a near new 3ym20 and an older 3jh, both good engines. Have never failed to start. For me if I had a choice it would always be a yanmar, the Beta and other marinised Kubotas are good but seem a bit agricultural (no pun intended). The 3ym is a lovely little motor, very quiet and smooth. The 3jh a bit noisy in comparison but they do big hours when looked after. In my opinion a good Yanmar engine can make a boat more attractive to a prospective buyer than their competitors.

An interesting read but it could easily be a volvo Penta. Our 2GM20 is 17 years old, but not without issues. One he hasn't come across yet although I think it's mostly effecting raw water models is the oil supply pipe that runs from the block to the head runs right under the head anode. Pull the anode out and the spill falls on the pipe and rustic it out over time. Ours popped its clogs and hour from Tutukaka with oil everywhere and a sail into the wind with no engine into Tutukaka which the Pardeys would be proud of. We replaced the silly little Hitachi alternator, the hideous engine mounts with nice Aussie made ones, air cleaner and mixing elbow. Also put a outboard priming pump bulb in the fuel line too as you are going to spend hours using the piddly little lifter pump to bleed the engine. Swap it? NEVER!

The other "skipper" on board here said "that's not all,tell them about the water pump". Yep, OK heading up past the oil refinery Marsden Point the temp alarm goes off. We immediately shut down, sails out and pulled the engine cover off. On starting the engine I noticed a rattle in the water pump pulley. The fly wheel has a cam in it and it was stripped. Our "box'o'bits" is extensive so managed to bend a washer to go on one side and a rubber one on the other, got us to Riverside Marina. The wiring too leaves a bit to be desired. We replaced the 55amp alternator with a 120amp Bosch and holy smoke! Lasted till we got to Whangamumu then flames and smoke. Ripped out the battery connections and now 2 x 200amp slow blow fuses in line. I still think they are a great little engine. We change oil and filter, only mono grade 30w and same in the gear box but she has only done 1070hrs. We did get the head, valves and new gasket done as a precaution.

never had a major problem with yanmar except for exhaust elbow that let go at the wrong time,To be fair had I removed the cladding from elbow and saw the state of it would of replaced it,replacement was easy and we made our own for $20.00 out of galv. water pump was external belt driven ,white star pump,easy to remove but problem no one stocked impeller,had new impeller fail but you can get that with impeller,never used oil,changed every 100hrs + filter and fuel filter. No fuel pump as such as tank had a hand pump (like on a tote tank)so bleeding was easy as, 30 yr old motor 16hp,never failed to start and as soon as rust appeared wire brushed and paint. as far as engine anode went,yep if you didnt know where it was you would miss it but easy to change twice yearly,so guess it was doing its job,stater was hard to replace due having to remove water pump but no biggie.

1st yacht had the classic gm10, once again easy to do head gasket and never failed to start even hand cranked a few times.

If opportunity arose to buy a new motor Yanmar would be top the list,never had an issue with parts from the agent down Beaumont st.

pump diesel fuel into sump!e.

Ouch!!! First I have heard of this. Would destroy the engine in minutes and of course not trigger the oil pressure alarm until too late. Is this a common problem? The fuel primer bulb we fitted works very well, can bleed and be underway again in about 5mins. About 20 on the primer pump whilst knocking skin off the knuckles...useless.

• Upvote 1

Just another trick (from my truckie days) is the 2GM uses a sideways mounted oil filter. No problem with the filter other than the sludge has no bottom to sit in so sticks to the bottom side of the filter and can flow back. We got a powerful magnet and stick that on the bottom of the filter which traps all the minute metal particles an engine creates. Most cars have a magnetic sump plug which does the same thing but not as good. (boy do I miss having a sump plug on a yanmar!!)

• Upvote 1

My opinion and high regard for Yanmars is experienced based.

They are a purpose designed and built marine diesel and are the well proven go to brand for many of my sailing colleagues.

This is not as clear a product difference of choice such as Ozito vs Makita but a straw poll amidst my whanua strongly favours Yanmar.

The Beta does the same job but has weak links in the Pommie marine conversion such as the alloy cased heat exchanger and the Yanmar has exhaust riser durability issues and like Volvo expensive replacement part costs.

Yup ,they all make the prop go around but as a accomplished amateur marine mechanic I will next time reach for a Yanmar and not for reasons of brand snobbery.

Mr Beta ready to come aboard happy days.

which Beta model is that??