Yanmar

One consideration of a lot of "marine conversion" diesels is the timing gear. Modern day engines in cars use a cam belt. Not sure if all marine purpose built engines use gears but the Yanmar does. It's difficult enough doing a cam belt in a car but with most marine installations, it could be bloody nightmare and needs to be done on a regularly. Not so with gear driven cams.

As the owner of a Lombardini marine diesel I suppose it would not qualify as mainstream, but it us nonetheless a nicely engineered unit.

We all have our engine preferences but would you agree that all modern diesels are going to give years of reliable service if regularly maintained according to the manufacturers instructions? Big name engine builders cannot afford to have a shitter with their logo on it out there in the market place.

And I agree with Idlerboat. The keel cooling on my Lombardini is great!

I consider Lombardini to be 'main stream' in the NZ market. They have a reasonable market presence, via marketing.

I looked long and hard at these when choosing my new engine. The agent made some compelling offers / sweetners. Easily the cheapest option available. They also had a run out of liquidated stock from another distributor. Those were prices to make you take a second look.

Interestingly, they are rebranding Lombardini as Kohler. Changing the colour from silver to black and gold (yellow).

The bit I could never get my head around is how (in the 30-40 Hp range) the engine could weigh a fraction of even the nearest competition, have a displacement of 1,300 cc and still, apparently, produce 40 Hp. The engine I'm putting in is 1,500 cc and rated to only 35 Hp. I just struggled with the laws of physics of it.

The agent did say they are de-rating all of the Lombardini range now, what was the 60 Hp is now the 50 Hp etc. I think what is now the 50 Hp displaced 2 l, (or 2.2 l) so more in line with most other engines (but was too big for my boat).

Some of the Kohler's looked very good, big, heavy slow rev-ing (if you like that kind of motor), 40 Hp with max rev's of 2,600 (3 cyl), and torque to spare (130 Nm think) closest we could find to our old Isuzu. That one was a fair bit too wide to fit in our boat. Ideal if you had a big heavy displacement launch (or canal boat?)

One consideration of a lot of "marine conversion" diesels is the timing gear. Modern day engines in cars use a cam belt. Not sure if all marine purpose built engines use gears but the Yanmar does. It's difficult enough doing a cam belt in a car but with most marine installations, it could be bloody nightmare and needs to be done on a regularly. Not so with gear driven cams.

Pretty sure most marine/industrial engines are still OHV not OHC so are unlikely to have cam belts.

The SD series of sail drives ( 20,30 ,40 and 50 ) are prone to cone clutch slipping - this is a well documented problem with multiple threads on forums complaining about having to regularly redo the cones which is a pain plus if they start slipping at the wrong time ie under load.

I found a Canadian engineer who designed a retro fit kit for them ( modified thrust bearing and a few pieces) - he is very knowledgeable on the problem and has sold around 200 of these kits with no reported further problems . I installed them on my set up earlier this year and so far no problems - last time I went offshore I ended up having to redo the cone on one motor in Fiji - this time no problems ....I can post the guys contact if anyone is interested

Yanmar has been supplying industrial engines to Isuzu John Deere and all the little digger manufacturers that you pass on the side of the road for many years, these are different engines to your YS series, GM's, JH's Lh's and LY marine Yanmars.

Except that SD20 and 25 dont have cone clutches...In fact no current Yanmar saildrives do.

I guessed on the SD 20s as I have heard of people upgrading from those so assumed they had the same problem - didn’t say they were current models but there are a lot of SD 40/50’s out there with that potential problem ... interesting that the agents weren’t interested in what I was doing as it wasn’t a Yanmar certified modification .

Think if you talk to engineers who service Yanmars they will acknowledge this is a weak point in those models

When working for Halls transport (an unpleasant experience!) their TRC 50 foot container fridge compressors were all yanmar powered. 3cyl. They get around a bit!!

Poor Bugger working for them,.We have all Yanmar fridge plants and even when alarming out high temp,push clear and they just keep going.

You would think Harry that with Yanmar being used all over the joint their parts would be cheaper but no. Can't buy them from overseas either because agents in one country can't send to another. I noticed the Chinese are getting in on the act with parts coming up on Alixpress...but..but..would you trust them!!?

You would think Harry that with Yanmar being used all over the joint their parts would be cheaper but no. Can't buy them from overseas either because agents in one country can't send to another. I noticed the Chinese are getting in on the act with parts coming up on Alixpress...but..but..would you trust them!!?

These guys ship Yanmar parts worldwide. 

https://www.keypart.com/yanmar

i'm sure there are many others.sure there are many others.

Well, I chose another Volvo. I got 10,000 hours and 30 years from the old one. Here is a link to an article about it I just did.

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/16156-engine-selection-and-replacement/

Matt

I repowered with a Volvo as that was what was there and I figured better to drop similar engine on existing beds. Wasn't quite like that but am happy with the new engine. Done 173 hrs now and yes no fumes.