Route du Rhum

And this race had many boats pull out with gear failure - dismastings, capsizes, foil problems.

These modern light weight flyers can't stand up to a storm, unlike the heavy slow classics in the Golden globe race!  ;-)

And this race had many boats pull out with gear failure - dismastings, capsizes, foil problems.

These modern light weight flyers can't stand up to a storm, unlike the heavy slow classics in the Golden globe race! ;-)

Not sure whether that's a serious comment? Best I can tell from the ggr tracker there seem to be 8 boats left of the 20 or so that started. Those old classics have failed at a higher rate than the route du rhum fleet... And they're not done yet!

To be fair, it is quite hard to compare as they are very different races.

With a 'short' race (2 or 3 weeks) you are not going to have such mental/ loneliness issues.  People are less likely to pull out, than in a race that takes 10 months.  GGR has had quite a few pull out due to 'personal' issues, not gear failures.

• Downvote 1

Have to admit I've not followed the ggr super closely. But from what I have seen in the media, the retirements for the ggr have not been mental/loneliness issues. They've been boats getting caught in bad weather and having breakages. Just like the route du rhum.

Certainly doesn't say that "these modern lightweight flyers can't stand up to a storm like the heavy slow classics"