#1 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWaimauku, Auckland

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

For reasons I might discuss in another thread I have to remove the hot water tank (calorifier) from our Farr1220. On the tank there are 4 inlets/outlets as follows:
Potable Water (the water to be heated):

• Fresh (cold) water in
  • Fresh (hot) water out

Engine Water (the water doing the heating):

• Engine water in
  • Engine water out

The first two are easy when it comes to disconnecting. For the first the freshwater tanks will be shut off before disconnecting for the second Ill lose some water into the bilge that is sitting in the pipes between the tank and the hot water taps but that should not be much.

For the second two, Im a little more cautious. The water from the engine comes from the fresh water cooling circuit on our VP2003T. See attached photo for the two connections on the engine that lead down to the hot water tank.

I do not want to disconnect the pipes on the tank and end up draining all the coolant out of the engine (the hot water tank is lower than the engine header tank). Should I be disconnecting at the engine end first? Note the two outlets on the engine are also slightly lower than the level in the coolant header tank. Once disconnected and caps put on the inlet/outlet on the engine will the engine still be ok to run?

Also, I need to think about the reinstall later and making sure there are no air lock issues.

Thoughts?

Attached Files

#2 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,569 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Neil, you will lose some coolant. Unavoidable. It will drop to the heat exchanger level. No problem, except the mess. Just top it up when refitting. Above the coolant tube on the exhaust riser is a brass plug. Open that when refilling to remove the airlock, or better yet take it out and put it where the barb to the header tank hose is - swap them around to avoid airlocks in future.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:33 AM

Tank out with surprisingly little mess :-)

Now I'm setting up a test in my garage to determine the source of our problem. There is a leak from the tank which I thought might have been the relief valve but now think the tank itself is f**ked. 

Any advice on buying a new tank/calorifier?

Attached Files

#4 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

Neil if you think it is shagged why not remove the outer casing and check the copper inner cylinder.

Maybe a repairable leaking fitting rather than a case of aged related corrosion.

Looks like you have no electric element so contact https://www.sigmashe...water-cylinder 

#5 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

Yesterday I did just that. The leak seems to be coming from the tank itself in the area of the white stuff (which I presume is some form of corrosion). The comedy moment was when I realised - too late - that the insulation inside the lining was thousands of bean bag beans. It took some time to get control of the garage back from the tsunami of little white balls!

Some pics and you can just about see the leak in the video:

Priscilla, thanks for the link, I'll contact those guys and see what advice they can give, not much hope for the tank though I think. 

Attached Files

#6 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Yep, its stuffed. What type of, and what % of corrosion inhibitor was in the cooling system? That's failed due to corrosion...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#7 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

General Marine services (GMS) do new ones, or maybe https://www.hotwater...ml#.W-O9UtIzbcc

no doubt there are others...

#8 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

Yep, its stuffed. What type of, and what % of corrosion inhibitor was in the cooling system? That's failed due to corrosion...

The engine coolant will have whatever they put in at the last service. However, I think the problem is on the fresh/potable water side that goes to the taps in the boat which will be just pure water from the marina tap. 

#9 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

General Marine services (GMS) do new ones, or maybe https://www.hotwater...ml#.W-O9UtIzbcc

no doubt there are others...

Yep, GMS is one of the many places on my list to go visit this week.

#10 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Yep, could be Neil, copper tanks don't last forever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users