Rolling a Sportboat!

Adrianp

Throught you lot might enjoy a few photos of out antics over winter where we flipping my Vickers 7m sportboat over to sand off some really roughy antifoul.

The first lot is back in march when we had access to the right gear to do the job - Thanks to Kevin Johnson Boatbuilders!

Image0177.jpg

Image0182.jpg

Image0183.jpg

And a few more from this last Saturday. We had to do this a bit rougher as we couldn't get back into Kevins place as they were full up with boats! Thanks to Booger for taking time off trying to get his boat ready to race next week, to help get us racing this week!

Boat Flipping (1).jpg

Boat Flipping (2).jpg

Boat Flipping (3).jpg

aha so its you that popped up parked next to me at W'Haven when I went down to the boat at lunchtime.... I recognise the little fishtail thingy on the back of the keel.

I was worried about the lack of clearance between my trailer and the road until I saw the 40mm of clearance you have.

Your permanent park now? Neighbors?

Nice work Adrian, Looks good dude, Has the boat got a single point lift in it or what were you lifting it by? Scary stuff although i guess the empty shell doesnt weigh much?

No Single lifting point. The forklift could only just get it high enough so we used rachet tie downs to strap the fork extension down to the deck. The tie went down to some pad eyes in the deck.

Yeap, EE, I'm you new neighbour and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon - its time to do some sailing! :lol: :lol:

Love the keel and little fins Adrian. Do they do anything apart from looking pretty? Boat looks great!

I don't know if the fins do anything. They were on the keel when we brought the boat and the keel doesn't make a sound even when we are doing 20kts to I'm not in a rush to change it as I figure it has a purpose.

Anyone have any idea why it would be there? I figure it was to stop vibration. Its about 5mm wide and is made out of fibreglass.

Speaking of the dreaded vibrate downhill....I get same - comes in at about 10kts and escalates from there.

I need to drop the board out at sometime to service the hydraulic ram and was going to do a slightly asymmetrical chamfer on the trailing edge to get to flow one way i.e. 40 deg one way and say 60 the other - like sharpening a knife. I have heard this works as it provides a constant flow one way rather than symmetrical chamfer which the flow oscillates back and forth and can cause vibration - opinions?

HnF your boat has a fat arse. Looks like a weapon tho. :D

Leading Edge told me my rudders hum at speed coz I'm a shitty boatbuilder. If he builds a foil it's accurate and doesn't hum. EE that is the same easy fix I used, it worked.

i was expecting to see some photos like this! we had some issues getting the forklift to help us out! we saw you Kestrahl :D .

nice work on the boat, cant wait to see it when we come up for bay week

waikawa.JPG

The fins are to stop the fin wobbling, not so much vibrating. the atomic had a real bad wobble (we called it 'terminal velocity') it started at about 18kts and got so bad that you would have to slow the boat down, it would shake the sh*t out of the boat. I think it was from an under spec'ed composit fin with a T bulb so the fin was bending and tracking each way. A sloppy centercase made things worse and got the wobble started.

The fins stopped the issue almost completley.

I think its a bulb/fin alignment/fairness issue, as our fin was 7kg and flexible as a mother fucker, it had like 150mm deflection with 180kg on it, but never did the high speed wobbling thing.

I have been following the build of a Canting T780 in Switerland which can be found here and they had "flutter issues" that they resolved with a tail fin. I guess when you look at these bulbs they have alot of bulb in front of the fin which might put the centre of "drag" in front or inline with the fin rather than behind the fin.

T870.jpg

Poor guys have got a few new issues since - http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 5949363618

DSC_8325.JPG

Its a good blog to check out as they built a work of art!

Archived