#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

Desperation is setting in. The boat is in France, we are here, and a long hot summer is forecast.
We have in mind to resume our sea kayaking interest but not in those dreadful plastic or glass boats produced here - the very fact that they all come with rudders indicates what badly designed kayaks they are.
I have built (from Gulliemot plans) the odd long and skinny Greenland style kayak using cedar strip planks over a set of temporary transverse bulkhead type MDF molds, the hull then glassed inside and out and then decked over.
The trouble is that cedar is expensive (If you can get it).
So, if you set up the molds of which there may be 8-10 in a 5.5 metre kayak, and then you put in extra molds between each one for the sake of rigidity, could you then strip plank the boat using polystyrene strips edge glued with white PVC glue?
I appreciate that the hull at this point would be very fragile and would require extreme care when sanding, but once the outside layer of glass is on it should be ok to handle, and with the inside glassed should be fine?
Trying to get a couple of cheap poor man's kayaks here by thinking outside the box, so all thoughts welcome.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

Buy real boatbuilding foam - the amount is small so the cost differential not so big and you get the right stuff for stiffness (important in a long skinny hull). Use a hot glue gun to put in place then glass in and out.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#3 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

Thanks BP. I can get hold of a quantity of 6mm MDF. Presumably that could be an option as well?
Young at heart.

#4 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,357 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

I have a copy of 

"Building your hull with the bead & Cove Foam System, Using core cell foam" by Andre Bilodeau if that helps.

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

I built 2 boats using strip plank cedar then one using strip plank Durakore.

The DuraKore was so much easier and nicer to use with the bonus of a far better stronger finish with no extra weight.

I'll never use cedar again.

#6 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Would plywood stitch & glue not be OK for a traditional style long kayak? A mate built one that looked amazing. Fairly sure he used temporary bulkheads also. I can't remember how light it was (it was his first attempt at boat building) but it certainly had a classic traditional shape.

#7 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the offer, SJB. I have a similar publication.
I remember when my old mate Dave Blundell put the original hull shape together for the Davidson 28. He covered the stringers with many layers of pre-glued wallpaper and then faired her up using plaster of paris. Thats what he took the glass mold off.
Low tech is what I'm after and being married to a dutch purse string holder, cheap.
And preferably materials sourced from Bumblings which is just down the road.
Young at heart.

#8 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,070 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

Hmm, rudders. A good sea Kayak will paddle in a straight line in still water with little/no wind. A rudder is useful when paddling in windy conditions to use for trim, so you don't have to keep correcting with the paddle.

I personally dont see an issue with a nice glass or Kevlar sea kayak - I have one - cost $120 slightly unfinished ( no hatch covers or rudder). I made the hatch covers, and bought a rudder and pedal kit from China cheaper than buying the component parts here in NZ.

At one time I did a fair bit of paddling, and used to be a NZCA instructor....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#9 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

I find trailing a rudder akin to towing a bucket although to be fair the only rudder I have experience with were the flat alloy types. Maybe a rudder with an aerofoil section would be better. But, also from experience kayaks with a bit of rocker and a fairly tight curve in the chine will steer well by railing, even in a cross wind. But the main thing I have against rudders is that they are an impediment to rolling which is a good skill to master in a boat with 54cm of beam.
Young at heart.

#10 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,070 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

Come on Chris, lots of rocker is more of an impediment to rolling, but neither that nor a rudder will even be noticeable if you have a good roll. Left, right, reverse and hand rolls are good to practice!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users