#11 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Yep, agree. Lots of rocker impedes a roll. A little doesn't make a difference but enables railing so you don't need to drag a rudder all around the ocean.
Bear in mind I do not have your experience. I couldn't roll my Breeze, my Quest, my Prion nor my Penguin. But the Guillimot - easy as. And fast. And no need for a rudder. Design is everything.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#12 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

Or go plywood. Check out Chesapeake light craft
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#13 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Rodger that, I built a few Chesapeake 16 kayaks , very fast and relatively inexpensive to build also  light if you take care and use Gaboon plywood.

Their Shearwater kayaks also have lovely  lines although they involve a bit more work.

#14 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

On the money there BP.
I built C.L.Cs Eastport nesting pram and was very happy with it. And so was the family that bought it when we sold the H28.
Young at heart.

#15 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

Yep, agree. Lots of rocker impedes a roll. A little doesn't make a difference but enables railing so you don't need to drag a rudder all around the ocean.
Bear in mind I do not have your experience. I couldn't roll my Breeze, my Quest, my Prion nor my Penguin. But the Guillimot - easy as. And fast. And no need for a rudder. Design is everything.

Well Chris, come for a paddle with me sometime over summer and we can fix that!
IMO a bulletproof roll is a critical safety issue for any reasonably serious sea kayaker.
Nothing wrong with the C.L.Cs. If I changed my kayak, I’d be keen on a real lightweight timber one, the just look great to me....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#16 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Well, that was a short-lived venture.
I think the Keeper of the Purse is going to decline funding for another build, citing noise, mess, disruption and the fact she thinks i'm too old for another boatbuilding project.
Sooò, Current Designs Storm looks like it could be an ok boat?
We've been out of the business for a few years so probably local mass produced kayaks have improved over this time.
I have the impression that there's not much choice available now in sea kayaks, their being superseded by those sit-on things.
Young at heart.

#17 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:23 AM

I'm assuming you've been paddling a bit lately?

Having done nothing in close to 20 years I picked up an old Venturer a few months ago.

Went paddling on the local lake, and promptly fell out. No deck/skirt so had to swim back, dragging a kayak behind me, much to my kids delight.

Way back when, I could happily paddle around in a DR, or K1, so I'm guessing balance, core and reflex/ instinct have gone south somewhat.

As for rolling, quite a few serious sea kayakers reckon they would not be able to, as haven't practised it for so long.

Make sure your shoulders are ok, I've known of a few dislocations from a high brace.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#18 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

Paddled a Shearwater a couple of days ago (didn't like it much). That was my first time in a kayak in 12 years, so my thoughts/impressions stated on this thread are somewhat out of date.
Concerning production boats, I was back then very much in love with Sisson's Noordkap and out of today's offerings the Barracuda Beachcomber looks an ok boat but at $3300.....
But from experience I still very much favour the long skinny low volume rudderless Greenland style kayak and still have my unfeathered Greenland style paddle which, once you get used to its peculiarities is truly awesome.
There is a small museum in the Dutch city of Hoorn that has a section devoted to Inuit culture. They have a few kayaks on display there, some dating from the 1700's, and not a rudder to be seen.
Take your point about shoulders- at my age flexibility is becoming a bit of an issue.
Young at heart.

#19 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

have an old wooden sea bear

not used for a few years

would you like to borrow for a bit?

lots of rocker, almost too heavy for old duffers, unlike the barracuda, HUGE alloy rudder....

absolute NZ classic

long, wide + stable

cedar 1 piece inuit paddle for all day paddling

carbon 2 piece wing paddle for keeping up with others

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#20 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

Rolling is something that needs be practiced from time to time even when you (were once!) good at it. My own rolling is not what it once was, but it's something I practice pretty much every time I paddle - in summer! I try to do 5-10 rolls each time.

Flexibility is an issue for us older folk :-( Rolling isn't so much about the paddle, as the hip flick and body position.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users