30 replies to this topic

#1 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

Ok I have not lost a family member or loved one that has not been recovered but is a $40m plus very risky and complex recovery mission the correct approach.

I would settle for a permanent memorial and gift the monies to boosting national work safety initiatives to address the phenomenal amount of workers 100 plus annually that have perished in work related accidents over the intervening 8 years since the Pike River tragedy. 

#2 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

I don’t care about the money, politicians flush that much down the drain every day

I object to the line and headlines that they are gong into the mine to recover the bodies. They are going a few hundred metres into the access tunnel to where it is blocked by a rockfall. There will be no bodies recovered, there will be no smoking gun. There be no closure, just a bunch of polititions patting themselves on the back for achieving nothing which they knew would be the case all along

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think going in to suss if they could find the actual cause would be good but I struggled to not vomit listening to Andrew this morning.

For a start it's 'all about the families', BULLSHIT as some of the families do not want someone going in, they want RIP. I feel for those families who are being ignored purely for political gain.

The other disgusting and very scary angle is all the talk of laying charges. Talk about political arseholery putting the dingy way, way way, in front of the boat. All that talk is going to do now is create a demand for blood. As we have seen now NZ politics is only about the face heading your tribe, not the actions or outcomes, the charges talk will only generate fucked in the head tribal retards 'demanding' heads on stakes. A LOT will demand that PURELY so they can have a crack at, with smiles on their faces and much glee, John Key, Whittle and the previous Govt. Given the current governments predilection with blaming the last one for all crimes known to man those sad tribal f**ks have a good chance of getting the Kangaroo Court they so desperately need to fill their sad hollow lives. There will be zero winners in that as now the Government has hung so much on all this they just can't afford to find anyone but management at fault, even if they do find a body with a joint in one hand, a box of matches in the other. It's gone beyond a simple suss and recover, way too far beyond.

Grrrrrr........ the way this turned into political game playing really pisses me off. People died and peoples lives were serious fucked up, they deserve better.

That aside, yet again I find myself thinking I like Andrew Little more and more. I've been watching him with bits n bobs for the last year and each time he's impressed me that little bit more. As much as he's deep in the political wankery that Pike River has become, I do think he is handling himself very well. I'm more and more leaning towards the thought the Labour party shafted NZ by applying lipstick just before the election.

#4 TimB

TimB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNelson

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

Agree and remember A. Little comes from background of being long time leader of the Engineers Union and he was pretty successful in that role.

#5 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'm waiting for Winston to turn up in his hard hat.

#6 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

Seal the bloody mine up and place a memorial at the front. Leave them there with their mates.

I have no connection to the mine but if I did,do I really want incinerated remains??

Spilt $40 mil amongst those families who lost loved ones as they were not properly compensated,reopen the case and charge crocodile tear Peter Whittle as he was in charge and knew the risk,it was all about profit not the men.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#7 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

Was it not also the unons responsibility to ensure its members were in a safe working environment? 

#8 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10849043

"The Pike River inquiry heard repeatedly how the company these men ran refused to listen to workers, excluded the union at every opportunity and created a culture where workers learned not to speak out for fear of being disciplined,'' he said.

Pretty sure these men didnt involve the union as they  were glad to be working,thought they treated as though self employed contractors?probably wrong!

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#9 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

The truth about Andrew Little and the role the union played in the tragedy

http://nzagainstthec...pike-river.html

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#10 native