40 replies to this topic

#21 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,643 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Part of the issue I'm sure is they feel that those responsible got away to easily. Hoping for further evidence.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#22 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

From inside info it seems everyone was / is culpable. The miners knew of the high risks but were getting paid very well. Directors also knew. Management too.Government mines staff. But they all turned a blind eye. About half of relatives want it left alone. Monk is baying for blood and now has the sympathetic ear of Little ,an ex union man. Reeks of political capital. Shameful. What these people are seeking is a scapegoat. And it will be a gross injustice and even bigger waste of money. Millions more than predicted.. Probably justice would be better served if those Greenies who objected to an opencast mine were indicted. All better left alone now.

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#23 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

Reeks of political capital.

I think that was the idea when they used it thru the election campaign but now it could be working against them more than they want and I think they know it.

In this morning chat with pollies the question was asked 'You sure the people want to spend over 40mill on this?'. The Govt MP replied 'We are fore filing an election promise'. It was very obvious from the tone there wasn't much conviction behind that statement.

I have been a little surprised at the level of Grrrrr..... around the costs. Sure there was always going to be some, it's inevitable, but the intensity I never expected nor how wide spread it is.

I'm of the thought during the election campaign as bugger all had the Labs, including themselves, saw them as having not much of a chance to have to actually walk their talk they felt free to say any old sh*t................... but then along came Winston.

#24 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

going fwd too

it sets the new cost standard 

for getting dead kiwis out of the ground

>$1,000,000 per body?

compare that with how much the gov

is prepared to pay

to get uninsured, but living,

sick kiwis

home from overseas

<$1,000 per person?

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#25 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

to get uninsured, but living,

sick kiwis

home from overseas

<$1,000 per person?

that's a bit of a strawman arguement Erice?  1k will barely get you to chch!

(weird the $1k changes to $1,000 within the API)

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#26 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

the point being

the new caring gov.

spends more trying to bring corpses to the surface

that sick kiwis from overseas to our hospitals

i understand why people need to keep buying travel insurance for overseas holidays

but the look

is not good

picked <$1,000

as the price of a few hours of embassy time

telling you

"NO, the taxpayer will not fly your son back from a helmetless scooter accident in bali

try give'a'little"

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#27 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

Maybe Department of Labour mines inspectors should have put a stop work on the mine if it knew there were issues. 

I have supervised a small pipe jacking tunnel many years ago and issued a stop work on a contractor, to make an excavation safe. Department of Labour tunnel inspector let it slide.

I suspect mines inspectors come out and let things slide.

OSH also admitted in a major accident that no one was to blame for the acident, its NZ culture. 

Who is ultimately repsonsible then? In my opion the Goverment.

#28 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:16 AM

“Probably justice would be better served if those Greenies who objected to an opencast mine were indicted.”
Crikey AA having a heavy avo on the sherry are we.
KM I am with you on the matter of costs but struggle to see how anything can be achieved by entering the drift to only the rockfall.
I listened to the small minority of victims families that want nothing to do with this and agree with their view that the entire mine should remain untouched as a memorial.
Attached File  247F7E0E-71C2-457D-9270-142B9F3753DF.jpeg   56.69KB   0 downloads

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

Who is ultimately repsonsible then?

ALL the people at the mine, the people who knew exactly what was going on day in day out. 

Safety is a culture, not the responsibility of one or 2 people in the corner of an office. Or at least it should be but in NZ it appears the government and some of the population must think otherwise. Those people are called utter morons and NZ would be a far better AND SAFER place without them.

#30 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

exactly "Priscilla II" listen to the families not what Bernie wants.

Work safety is the responsibility of all,miners  management company owners etc but imo with jobs scarce on the westcoast a blind eye is turned,she,ll be right attitude.  I/you/ can say the unions should of had more involvement but the unions can only act upon a complaint from its members.No complaint no problem,are there any mine inspectors left??I mean real people who know there stuff,not someone reading from a text book,real life experience.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users