#51 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted Today, 09:45 AM

Absolutely agree with that 100%

What I'm saying to the detractors of the GGR, is the problem here is not the skippers or boats. Its the Mad King Don changing the rules after the skippers have signed up to them. Its one thing signing up to a set of rules. Its another thing having them changed arbitrarily mid race. Worse, he appears to change them at times of crisis, i.e. bad storms bearing down on skippers. The skippers are prepared to handle adverse events by themselves, then he starts texting "go this way, don't go that way", causing major doubt to the skippers decision making, undermining their own confidence, and completely screwing the notion of 'solo' and the essence of the race. He's wrecked his own concept.

From the little I've seen I'd totally agree with that also.

No problem with no GPS or SSB. That's part of the challenge which they knew going in. You can get weather via a receiver only and it's not hard to plot. Sextants can be an arse but again just part of the game the skippers voluntarily signed up for.

It's a race for the DIY hardarses, not the lectronics jockeys.

#52 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

The exclusion zones were designed to keep the boats within distance of rescue services.

#53 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

The exclusion zones were designed to keep the boats within distance of rescue services.

Maybe so, but the exclusion zones created an artificial lee shore the whole way around the Southern Ocean. In 3 instances, that prevented boats ducking South with a major blow coming in (i.e. running off) with the direct consequence of each of those 3 boats being placed smack in the dangerous quarter, consequently getting rolled or pitch-poled, loosing the rig, injuring the sailor and requiring rescue from deep in the Southern Ocean.

RJK didn't have an exclusion zone. But he chose to stay north in general. The extent to which the exclusion zones cause an encumbrance to the skipper routing can be seen by the tracks. Every boat has run straight along the edge of the exclusion zone. While that may be the fastest route from A to B, it prevents them running off in any weather north of west.

#54 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

Rule adjustments on the fly certainly dont appear to have helped this race, and interestingly pushing some long keel boats down wind hard in marginal conditions will have to questioned by RK-J in his report - we do have 80 years or so of history to rely on here after all- particularly those with minimal bouyancy forward and their tendency to trip.

One reason that I believe the Woolacotts were so successful in the early days of kiwi ocean walloping adventures , old Bert understood bad weather and followed a line going back to the Falmouth working boats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users