one for each hull?

#22 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

What is a loose sleeve, how is it fitted on dyneema and why, whats its made of and what is the best application for it. Same goes for the close fitting sleeve.

Soggy sleeving is not sized right or not pulled out tight. A bit like you see on marina lines and things like that sometimes. In many cases that's perfectly fine, in the odd one the best option to allow materials to cool better.

Body hugging is more like say the end of tweak shrouds where you see the cover has been stripped and by the sail end a length of sleeving has been put on to help mitigate chafe etc when the sails are up. This tight sleeving is the same as the cover on your standard double braid yachting rope. You'd say strip the polyester cover off and replace it with another product, often a UHMwPE these days, to give extra chafe protection, maybe different handing properties or to get better holding in jambers. I've recently done the ropes on my boat and most are naked* UHMwPE that  I've added sleeving to on the cockpit end to make them easier to handle and cleat better as naked UHMwPE is like a bar of soap when wet. There are a range of reasons.

* - Naked meaning a single braid with no cover.

Do you have a link to the article or report on the rig failure mentioned above?

Are you allowed to name the boat or do I need to try three guesses?

No and No and you're welcome to have a crack but I can't score your response, I was involved as a expert witness. The settlement was subject to confidentiality clauses, as they usually are.

#23 1paulg

1paulg

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationAuckland ,NZ

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:50 PM

Would like to second what KM said about the cover - needs to be a tight fit so you can see exactly where any abrasion is occurring - in our case we have a dyneema sleeve which wasn’t a lot cheaper than the actual shroud but the last cover lasted 11 years and nowhere had it worn through so well worth it and underneath everything was in mint condition even after all that time.
Our inners don’t have any protection except a UV paint as the cap shrouds mainly protect them from abrasion.

#24 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second that Paul. Your raft has seen a lot of ofshore miles, the Dynema side stays tested under a lot of load (no running back stay).  If it doesnt fail on a large cat, it is not going to fail on a leaner.

#25 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:18 PM

Anyone know who did the standing rigging on High Spirits and what was used? It may determine how I sail the old girl. hehe

I just asked the manufacturer. His eyes went wide and the words 'Is that still on it, bugger me'. What was used? 'Ah, some sh*t we found after the previous cock up' (which was thinking gold fibre means kevlar). Judging by the surprise it was still in use I'd take that as sail soft while considering replacement options.

But the same knutter was in discussing fibre rigging for his soon to be relaunched after a huge rebuild mono. We are going to try a LL SK99HS, a genuine dyneema. I'm hesitant but he's keen so we'll see around Feb next year.

#26 Ptown

Ptown

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

I just asked the manufacturer. His eyes went wide and the words 'Is that still on it, bugger me'. What was used? 'Ah, some sh*t we found after the previous cock up' (which was thinking gold fibre means kevlar). Judging by the surprise it was still in use I'd take that as sail soft while considering replacement options.

But the same knutter was in discussing fibre rigging for his soon to be relaunched after a huge rebuild mono. We are going to try a LL SK99HS, a genuine dyneema. I'm hesitant but he's keen so we'll see around Feb next year.

Bugger, not so reassuring! I might take a section off and get it load/break tested. Can you help with that KM? As I said it looks in good nick

Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyneema, rigging, rope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users