Riggers in westhaven recommendations

Ok so it doesn't seem that there are any riggers nearer to thames than 1.5 hours away...so I'm going to have to get sailing...Shame.

So please share positive experiences you've had with any riggers at westhaven, particularly for any with classic yacht/bowsprit experience...I dont need someone who can squeeze that last bit of high performance juice from my rig, (if you saw it, you'd understand....), just someone who knows what strong is, and what can survive a gale or two, if the worst came to the worst....

I'm just after some advice, initially...someone who wont charge me the earth to come and have a look at her, and walk me through what I need to do when I get her back to thames, and onto the hardstand...I'm guessing it would take about two or three hours of their time, that's all. If they travel, and can actually come and assist when she's back on the hardstand in thames, (and it doesn't cost the earth), then all the better. Otherwise, I'm just working on their advice, with a local engineering company, down here.

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences.

Not on boat to take pics of bowsprit until weekend, but it's just stainless tubing, literally just extending under and beyond the pulpit, but extending approximately 4ft forward, with inadequate (i would say) standing rigging support. Previous owner left mooring line over, rather than under it, and you can guess what happened next...now I've got a bend to fix. But it strikes me that 2mm, 1" OD stainless tubing doesn't make for the strongest bowsprit, anyway: my last boat had a tree on the end. I'm wondering how to make it stronger: whether I can strengthen this design adequately, or whether I have to start again with a proper poled/beamed sprit, made of something solid, not thin stainless steel...

Not really a rigger's exact mandate, but I 'm also after other advice, based on the fact that my mast is gradually collapsing into the deck: the deckstepped mastfoot has been heavily reinforced with additional timber and steel bracing at some point, (see photos) but the reinforcement itself is fixed to columns, which float on a thin fibreglass liner, (the settee fronts in the photos), which rises from the sole, not directly connected to the keel (Doh!). Part of getting her onto the hardstand is so I can construct a new ringbeam of sorts, connecting the mast to the keel properly, but, in the mean time, I'm making-do, by building a glassed in ply bulkhead from the keel to the sole, then using an acrow prop or screwjack drectly under the mast, and over this new bulkhead, as a compression post...im keen to see if what I plan is going to do the job, or whether there are alternative ideas out there...

20181019_130409.jpg

20181019_130421.jpg

I'm also taking recommendations for bulk supply of marine tinned cable!

Apparently you can't go past David's Emporium in Whangarei for a sharp price  ;-)  ;-)

Disclaimer: Wire may or may not be actual wire. Not claimed to comply with standard NZS 5001.3, or any other standard, and may work for a bit, if you are lucky.

Apparently you can't go past David's Emporium in Whangarei for a sharp price  ;-)  ;-)

Disclaimer: Wire may or may not be actual wire. Not claimed to comply with standard NZS 5001.3, or any other standard, and may work for a bit, if you are lucky.

Haha..very good fishy.

Ashdown Ingram on Simms Rd. They used to be called something else 3 years ago when I bought drum off them, good price and not strictly wholesale if you are "cash and carry". 

HMB is a much more welcoming marina than some. Especially when it comes to gantry usage...

Just do the.. ahem... "training course" at Westhaven and as a marina berth holder you can use it any time for a small exorbitant fee.

I did a bit on this a while ago when I needed to put my mast in.  Boat was already in the water and most yards wanted me to be lifted out, crane mast in, then lift back in.  Found Gulf Harbour was the best option where we could be in the travellift pen and use the arm on the travellift.  The guys at GH Rigging were very good to deal with, did a great job.