#1 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

After some advice here.... TS mounting things inside the cabin that need screws. There’s no a lot of internal bulkheads that can be screwed into and in this case I’m mounting an extinguisher which is just too bulky to go on any bulkheads. I don’t like the idea of bolting through the glass as it introduces another source of water ingress.

Up until now I’ve been making backing blocks out wood and using epoxy or liquid nails to attach the block to the glass wall, then screwing the mounting onto that block.

Is this the best way to solve this problem or does someone have a better way? The extinguisher is the heaviest item I’ve had to do this with and I want to be sure the block isn’t going to fall off one day.

Thanks!

#2 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

I have used VHB tape and a very good MS Adhesive/sealant extensively in my tweaking. I've gone from around 6 ice cream containers of SS fastening down to 1, maybe 1.5 of them. The rest is glued or taped in.

I'm not too sure you'd want to tape or MS a fire extinguisher bracket directly on, lack of surface area I'd think, but I would defiantly consider sticking a backing block on using the MS, it is &^*%^ to a blanket type stuff. Screw the bracket to that block.

I put on some deck organisers that are roughly 220mm by 50mm with bolts (they are needed as they are also the pins for the sheeves) but also on a thin bed of the MS, mainly for the sealant side in this application. I then decided to change the deck layout so they were redundant. The bolts came out OK but it took 2 of us with 2 big chisels to pry the base plate free. We were very impressed with the adhesive qualities. That was onto new paint that hadn't been scuffed or anything and I'm finding masking tape just doesn't like sticking to at all.

The MS is Modified Silicone. I've used some Quilosa brand which is hell sticky but skins up fast so due to that shortish working time most is Ados branded MS Adhesive Sealant which skins up in longer 15-20 minutes. The Ados cleans up, if you are quick, with soapy water, the Quilosa needs Isopropol Alcohol. Give the Quilosa a few hours to cure to a OK place before playing with it, I'd leave the Ados around a day, it moves a little slower.

Let technology be your friend.............. say the dude who has all 21 fingers and toes crossed hard that bits don't fly off all over the show on the first big wave :)

#3 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Thanks I’ll check that out. The liquid nails has held up well, but if I’m buying something I might as well check what’s available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users