Gas storage

Just been through this discussion elsewhere for a land based application, and apparently full bottles must be stored upright at all times because the contents of the bottle MIGHT affect the valve...…… More OSH doodah.  Personally, having spent many years operating mountain huts and having 70 odd cylinders stored on their side outdoors for up to 2 years, we never once found it a problem.

Thats interesting considering we helped some Americans who have those (amazing!! ) fibreglass gas cylinders that gas companies in NZ refuse to fill which I find totally stupid, get theirs filled using a 'jumper' line. Didn't work until we turned the full (kiwi) bottle upside down then the liquid gas flowed. I've, probably for obvious reasons, never tried to run a burner from a bottle on its side or UPSIDE DOWN!? OK, thinking about it, those elcheapo Chinese canister stoves that use lpg have the bottles on their side. Thanks. Got me thinking now!

I have a couple of fibreglass Aussie 9 kg bottles that came with the boat - have tried to titrate but find it a pain ( maybe I aren’t doing it quite right) which is a shame as they don’t corrode , are lighter and you can see the lpg level . Did manage to get one filled previously in Tonga but on last trip even in French Polynesia and Samoa they seemed quite strict on what bottles they filled ( though I didn’t try to get the glass one filled ) .

Shame as they are so well suited for the marine environment

I know of 3 mobs who have looked at them then said Nope due to getting them approved for use in NZ. The costs to get approval is the barrier.

Yep, typical, lets all reinvent the bloody wheel. Instead of looking at overseas testing, approval and use, good old NZ has to make importers and users leap through the same expensive hoops...all over again just to get filling stations here to use them and they are safer to use in a marine environment. (...making rude noises)